Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Genius videoCAMlook

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rozzer

rozzer

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:14 AM

Hi all
Hope you can help.
I have recently installed Linux Mint 17.1 and still finding my way round with the lots of help
from here linux forum but no luck so here goes and thanks to all.
I have connected my video cam and It is recognised and plays successfully with both Cheese
and guvcview, however It will capture videos/photo's etc and I can save them to upload should
I wish but I cannot connect for video conferencing or video chat (I don't have Skype) It just tells
me to switch on my cam, I have no manual switch and previously through Windows I had to load the
drivers and the programme just automatically ran.
I am not sure whether I can load these same drivers on Linux and/or whether it is safe to do so.
I have tried to research but it seems as though my cam is from the 'Dark Ages' smile.gif
It is :- Genius.....VideoCAMlook...300K Pixels, USB Internet Video Camera, The drivers are Utility Drivers for Windows XP/ME/2000/98SE. I did try 'Linux UVC driver and tools' but it is not listed
Hoping you can help

Kind regards

Rozzer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:01 AM

This probably won't be much help but here is the Manual and there is a trouble shooting section at pg. 21 but it don't look like what you are experiencing. http://download.geniusnet.com/manual/webcam/iLook320/iL320-English.pdf

rozzer, don't you need Skype to do this?

Edited by pcpunk, 10 May 2015 - 03:11 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:03 AM

rozzer, you can add Skype from the Software Manager if you want, there's a Linux version available. 

Is that an option you're interested in? 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,084 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:19 AM

Wish I had the experience to help you but here is some info I found from Ubuntu.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:18 AM

Hi pcpunk & cat

Thanks for your reply, pcunk, sadly none of the solutions you offered were suitable but thanks anyway.

and Cat I did install 'Skype' more to see if maybe after installation it may solve my original problem using

some of Skypes files/drivers etc, but it didn't!! (Skype is not for me)

Moving to Linux has rendered some of my programmes/games and hardware like my webcam unusable and It

has made my Canon printer have to operate through a new scanner programme instead of the Canon software.

Irfanview (one of my faves) is a struggle to use amongst other things.

I must say that Linux Mint is great otherwise but it looks like I may have to uninstall it, reinstall XP so I can use my 

now unusable equipment and make a dual installation set-up with Mint.

I will try a few more options as I have contacted Genius for advice and I will see what they say.

Thanks a million anyway

Regards

Rozzer

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

Rozzer, I've been a Linux Mint user for what will be 6 years next month, and yes things works different than under Windows, sometimes still have issues myself. Even those who upgrades to later versions of Windows has issues with Canon printers that were designed to work with XP/Vista, especially those who makes the leap to Windows 8 or higher. No drivers. Canon (& others) wants customers to purchase a new printer with every 2nd release of Windows. 

I still have an open Topic in regards to network printing myself, thought that all of these CUPS updates (an Apple software) would do the trick, have yet to have found a suitable solution, other than firing up a Windows virtual machine when I need to print. Yet I know that one day, the answer will end up staring me under the nose, probably something that I've tried, done it the wrong way. 

As to my Logitech webcam, it doesn't work in the same manner as Windows, yet it serves my purpose, it allows me to leave the computer on while I'm away & everything is recorded. 

Learning to accomplish tasks running LInux OS's can be trying at times. The important thing is to stick with a distro you like (this makes the learning process much easier), dual boot with whatever version of Windows you have for what you need & learn as you go. It's the way I did & still do. If your HDD is 60GiB or larger, you can easily dual boot, choosing the OS you want to run. XP, though usable, isn't an OS that you want to be conducting business on at this stage. Linux Mint is far more secure, and you can save receipts as PDF files, and transfer over to your XP user folder (from within the OS) & print from there. Until you find a solution that will make your printer work using Linux Mint. 

The main thing that will keep you secure on Linux MInt is to simply open the Terminal & type sudo ufw enable & Enter, type in your password, this activates the Firewall for maximum security. That's it. Your security is inbuilt, just make sure that when you see the update icon to apply any updates. 

We are here for our members, seeing that you have more than one issue to deal with, if you create a Topic for each, we'll serve you in the best way possible. Having a separate Topic for each issue avoids what will surely become a nest of confusion & help you find answers to your issues, one at a time. 

Whatever you decide, I hope that things works out for you.  :thumbup2:

We'll be here for you when you're ready.  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:27 AM

Hi Cat

Yes Linux is different but to be honest very pleasing despite the problems I’m experiencing, I'm sure I will get to like and enjoy it more as time goes on, the terminal is one of the biggest changes and the last time I used anything remotely similar was in Windows 3.1 and DOS.

I have installed my printer on my wife’s Windows 8.1 laptop and I can use it OK with all the built in goodies (just a nuisance to keep swapping from desktop to laptop just to print using Irfanview and with the correct colour settings and fixed text) using other programmes in Mint I have to re-adjust settings if I need to print and add text etc.

I think with my Webcam I will cut my losses and get a new one which is compatible with both Windows and Linux that will solve one issue.

I already have ufw enabled, I did it when I completed the 10 essentials.

The reason I wanted to re-install XP was merely to access my old games and my OE files which I can know no longer access unless I have XP & Thunderbird on the same O/S. I made the mistake of thinking they would be accessible when I changed over, but sadly not, if I can find someone with both installed then I can ask them to assist, my games are not accessible and I'm struggling to get them to work as well as obtaining new games using Playonlinux & Steam etc etc

The Linux forum is helping me with that but a long process but I'm grateful for their help.

Thanks Cat for your advice regarding opening new topic for each issue and I will do that in future it was just that my main problem was the Webcam, the other issues were just mentioned in the process.

Thank a million

Regards

Rozzer

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,084 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:24 PM

Yes, I find Dual Booting is the way with Linux for most, best of both worlds!

Here is a little something in case you need a new printer for linux: http://haydenjames.io/finding-linux-compatible-printers/

Then here for Canon http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support

And once you select Product Type you can search your printer model and get some info, hopefully lol.  I have had issues also with printers as most do. 

A couple of other links, the second one looks quite promising for canon.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/canon-printer-and-multifunction-drivers-for-linux-620610/

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/office/products/software/network_device_management/codehost_unix_linux_printing_with_brightq_pro

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:43 PM

I'm sure I will get to like and enjoy it more as time goes on, the terminal is one of the biggest changes and the last time I used anything remotely similar was in Windows 3.1 and DOS.

Rozzer, for the most part on Windows, when I'm accessing cmd, it's to diagnose/solve an issue. Normally diagnose. Rarely have I solved an issue via cmd on Windows, only verified that whatever was OK or needed further attention. The two tools I use the most on that OS brand (for myself) are the sfc /scannow one & the other that checks to see if TRIM is running. 

On Linux Mint, the equivalent in the Terminal, it's just an easy way to get things done. For the first couple of years, I shied away from it as many others, it was only after that period I learned what a helping hand the Terminal is & how one can get a lot done with a little effort. See, back in 2009, there was much less information available to Linux users compared today, even books at the public library were non-existent, though there were many manuals for long trashed OS's & Office versions collecting dust on the shelves. Not even a place on the shelf for Linux guides. 

Oh, and mentioning dual booting with XP on a dedicated Linux forum was a capital offence, and still is on some. They expect one to learn it all in a week. Yet at the same time, I guarantee they didn't themselves, many are just arrogant. We're different here, we don't bash members for what OS's they run, and we certainly don't allow personal attacks (per the rules), another issue that is prevalent to this day on some of those forums. 

You've found the right place here, and you can take the time you need to learn at your leisure with no pressure. 

Feel free to ask about anything in regards to Linux here, there are no 'dumb' questions here. No one here knows it all, though some knows more than others & I've learned quite a bit in my time here. 

Enjoy the Freedom of Linux! :thumbup2:

Cat

#10 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:58 AM

Thanks Cat & pcpunk and BP

I'm sure I will be back with lots more questions as time goes on.

For now, thanks

Regardsm Rozzer :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users