Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgraded to DDR3. Powers on, stuck on POST, no beeps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Maxammus

Maxammus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:10 PM

I bought a stick of 4gb 1600mhz ddr3 off ebay to replace my current 2x1gb 800mhz ddr2.  It was shipped in a paper envelope and thin white foam bag which doesn't seem to be antistatic.  I'm thinking it got shocked during transport but I want to rule out everything else before I return it.  When I put it in and power on everything starts up but that's it.  Nothing on screen or any post codes.  I blew out the memory slots with an air duster before I installed it, removed the ddr2 modules, tried the other slot and updated my bios with no results.  I don't have another motherboard or ddr3 stick to test against to be sure.

My motherboard supports both ddr2 and ddr3 up to 1600mhz but what I just realized from reading the manual is it only supports 1600mhz on certain am3 cpus (I use an Athlon II x2 250) but I can't find any list.  The only other thing I can think of is the bios expects ddr2 and the cmos needs to be cleared.

To me everything seems to point to the ram being doa, but maybe someone knows better.

Edited by Maxammus, 09 May 2015 - 10:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:58 AM

I had an ASRock N68C GS FX board with a bad DDR3 memory slot, too. Seems to be a very common problem. See if you can RMA that board. Thats what I did and it never had a problem afterwards.

Edited by TheN00bBuilder, 10 May 2015 - 12:59 AM.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,728 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-S%20UCC/?cat=Specifications

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 May 2015 - 02:05 PM.

#4 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:18 PM

.....huh? According to that, there is no problem at all with him using DDR3. Like I said, it is the board. RAM hardly ever fails.

Edited by TheN00bBuilder, 11 May 2015 - 07:18 PM.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users