Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton 2003 Expired

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:42 AM

Howdy,
My subscription with Norton expired yesterday. I am about to go to their site and buy a new subscription. Do I need to un-install the 2003 version that I have now or will the 2006 version simply over write this one.
I hope this question makes some sort of sense.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:06 AM

you have to uninstall the '03 version. And I recommend buying Systemworks Basic Edition & Internet Security together. Their listed in the software bundles section of the home and home users store.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the reply Jesse. I am going to try and uninstall it now. I hope I can pull it off. :thumbsup:

Again, Thanks for your time !

Dennis :flowers:

Edit: I noticed that a personal firewall comes with their security package. If I buy that package should I disable the Windows firewall that I am currently using ??

Dennis

Edited by Dennis H, 04 July 2006 - 11:09 AM.

#4 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:14 AM

Hello Dennis,

Yes, you should only ever use one firewall or they can,and do conflict with each other. Just choose one. When you install Nortons Firewall,it should disable XP's version itself, but check to make sure it has!

One other thing, before you attempt to install 2006 edition, DO make sure you followed all the instructions on removing your previous version of Norton, as if any parts remain, they can cause problems when installing your new version!

Edited by graveangel, 04 July 2006 - 11:16 AM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:17 AM

Dennis H

This may help. :thumbsup:

How To Remove Your Norton Products, Removal instructions for most Symantec Norton products

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34671/how-to-remove-your-norton-products/
Posted Image

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

Howdy graveangle and Scarlett. Well I used the uninstall tool that quietman 7 mentioned. I guess it worked.
Should I disable the windows firewall now or wait until I download the Norton Security package ?

How do I disable the firewall ??

THANKS for your help !

Dennis

#7 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:02 PM

With Norton set to disable the XP firewall,you will be ok to install Norton with it still on, then make sure you check to see if Norton has taken over the job straight after you install it and its running ok.

To check which firewall you are using,or to disable one,just click 'Start' select 'Control Panel' and double click on 'Security Centre'

:thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#8 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:10 PM

Thanks graveangel !

I have downloaded the Norton products. During the download it said that the program was not compatible with Spybot S&d, so I had to uninstall Spybot in order for the download to continue.

Can I now reinstall Spybot ???

Thanks,
Dennis :thumbsup:

#9 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 03:02 PM

Yes that should be fine.

What Norton will be referring to when it says it is not compatible is Spybots Tea-Timer setting. So, when you re-install it, just make sure you choose NOT to install Tea-Timer.

Tea-Timer is Spybots real time protection, which Norton does not like as it provides its own. You can obviously still use Spybot as normal though and run a scan with it along with your other 'Anti' products around a minimum of once a week.

and you are welcome,just let us know how it goes and i hope your browsing is a safe one!

Graveangel
:thumbsup:

#10 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:06 PM

Well, just my luck. I have run into a problem with Norton already. When I installed their product numerous updates were downloaded and installed. Just for the heck of it I tried the live update option about a half hour ago.

There was one update available so I clicked to download it. No problem with that. The problem came when it went to install the update. A screen came up saying it was installing the update, the green bars went all the across and then things just froze up. :thumbsup:

A message popped up about 15 minuets later that told me error LU1801 occurred.Posted Image

Unfortunately I erased the message so I don't have all the information to relay.

Is anyone familiar with error LU1801???

Thank You for your time,

Edited by Dennis H, 04 July 2006 - 04:22 PM.

#11 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 05:40 PM

Thats where Norton is a pain in the backside, dont get me wrong, regardless of what others say i think it is a good Anti-Virus,however, using it can be as frustrating as having malware on your system, and its a nightmare to get rid of. Ive had first hand experience! :thumbsup:

Ive never seen this error,but you could try running and downloading updates from the Symantec site itself instead of letting the programme do it, a slight annoyance,but it may work.

Try reading THIS and see if it offers any help for you about downloading online.

You can also have a look on the Symantec site HERE to see these instructions about the problem, although look for other suggestions before you do anything it suggest as there maybe a simple fix that does not require what Symantec instructs.

As i no longer use Norton, i cant really offer any more advice for now on this,but i will continue to look for you.

You could also try turning off you PC for a while and on Restart try again with the updates procedure.

Maybe you could also try 'Google' and 'Yahoo' by typing in your error and seeing what it comes up with. DO NOT feel as if you have to use the first fix you find,look at others too,as some fixes will no doubt tell you to mess with the registry or uninstall and reinstall Norton as the other link suggests ive posted, which may not be necessary and can somtimes cause more harm than good.

Let us know what you find,i hope the Symantec links helps in supplying Infomation on helping resolve your issue.

Edited by graveangel, 04 July 2006 - 05:59 PM.

#12 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:06 PM

Howdy graveangle,
I will do as you suggest and see what happens. I appreciate your time and effort. I will post my results and hopefully you will review them.

I THANK you and all board members for your efforts and patience with me !

Dennis :thumbsup:

#13 Roniez

Roniez

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:00 AM

Yea thats right

The solution given my graveangle is correct. I also know it works. :thumbsup:

#14 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:02 AM

Well, I followed the advice given here and everything is up and running as it should be.

Once again you folks have snatched me out of the hands of defeat. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all for your input !

#15 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:46 AM

You are welcome Dennis H.
Im happy its all now working as it should be. Just remember to run those scans on a regular basis and keep the crappy Spyware and Virus' away.

If you have anymore problems then just ask!

And thanks for the appreciation, it makes it all worthwhile :thumbsup:

Happy Browsing!

Graveangel
:flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users