Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeping Dell Optiplex at Boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KevBuntu

KevBuntu

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:17 PM

PC is a Dell Optiplex 330 running win 7. Problem is I start the computer,  and it goes through the series of beeps during the boot process, there is no display on the monitor.

I tried to decode the series of beep codes using dells chart, http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN143065/EN but can figure it out.

I made a recording, if anyone can figure out what this beep sequence is, I would appreciate the insight, I can't make it out. TIA- Kevin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdspto5WcIk

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vdspto5WcIk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:35 PM

Those beeps are confusing. First, I need you to take off the side panel and inspect any boards with capacitors that look like any of these. (video also explains how those capacitor failures happen). If you see any, you need to replace your motherboard or solder some new ones on. If you don't see any, take the button cell battery out of the computer with the PC unplugged and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. If none of that works, I suggest it is a RAM or motherboard problem of some sort.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 KevBuntu

KevBuntu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:03 PM

thanks noobsbuilder, I thought I solved the issue with it being the graphics card, I booted up got a display and then after 5 minutes of it being on it went right back into beep mode and the screen went black.  I checked the capacitors the all looked okay, but will check tomorrow when I have better lighting.

#4 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:46 PM

Glad to hear you fixed it! What GPU does it have now?

#5 KevBuntu

KevBuntu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:43 AM

unfortunately no quick fix here noobsbuilder.  I had it going for about 5 minutes, then the display goes black and  it goes right back into it's beep sequence.

The gpu is an ASUS GeForce 8400GS 1GB. Got it for the HD and HDMI . I wanted something quiet, cool and made sure it wouldnt draw too much power. It ran Hyperspin and XBMC very well, also sped up the boot time.  I removed it to see if it was the culprit but it was not. Going to pull and test each individual ram stick, with seperate boots.

After watching your vid and reading up more on the subject it seems, the capacitors from that era seem to be a ticking time bomb, I don't see any blown caps but it's probably just a matter of time.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:59 PM

The dielectrics in electrolytic capacitors break down over time which eventually will lead to the failure of an electrolytic capacitor.  This type of problem usually would not involve a beep code.  Usually if there are bad caps the computer simply will not boot.

Since it appears that the failure is occurring during the POST (Power On Self Test) it would be a peripheral device which is causing this.

Checking the RAM is a good idea.  If there is more than one module try removing all but one.  If the module proves to be good try it in the other slots to determine if there is a problem with any of them.

After that try each of the other modules to make sure you aren't having any problems with them.

If you want to run a diagnostic on the RAM you could run Memtest86

Memtest86 Instructions

1) Please download the Memtest86 Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO file.

2) Unzip the downloaded memtest86 file.  You will need a program like 7-Zip to unzip this file.

3) Inside, you will find the memtest86 file.

4)  How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.  

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

7) Locate the memtest86 file, and click on the Open button.

8) Click on the blue arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD.

9) Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.  

Please note:  It may be neccessary to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd second.

Each pass consists of 8 tests, it is suggested that you run at least 7 passes, this will take several hours, you may find it simpler to let it run overnight.  The longer you run the passes the more comprehensive the results will be.

If you are running multiple modules and have a failure, remove all but one module and test it separately, continue this with each module till you find the one that failed.  

When you discern that a module is good, use it to test each slot to be sure there isn't a problem with one of them.

When the test is complete a display similar to the one below will appear.  Note the locations of the Pass and Errors, any Error is indicative of a failed module.

memtest1_zps7be717f5.png

==========

Another possibility could be that your PSU is not producing the proper voltage on the different rails.  You could take a voltmeter and check the rail voltages to be sure that they are within proper tolerances.  If you need instructions for doing this let me know and I will post a tutorial.

There are five different DC rail voltages which are color coded. The Black wires are always negative.

Yellow +12VDC

Blue -12VDC

Red +5VDC

White -5VDC

Orange +3.3VDC

==========

It would also be a good idea to make sure there aren't any problems with the hdd.

Please download and run SeatTool for Windows.

When the website opens scroll down till you find the I Accept button and click on it.

If you scroll down below this button you will find instruction for installing this.

Once you install this program you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for hdds on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB port.

2.  Detected Drives will list the hdd/s found.  Place a check mark in the drive you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

6.  When the scan is complete you will see Test results, post the status.  If it is green it has passed the scan.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 10 May 2015 - 01:02 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

I've had a Dell beep due to some bad capacitors before...

Edited by hamluis, 11 May 2015 - 08:35 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:55 PM

If you can show me where this type of error is listed in their beeps codes I might believe this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:57 AM

Beeping in a Dell is usually indicative of bad RAM or bad slots on the motherboard. 

Power down, plug out, take out both sticks of RAM, then put them back in 1 at a time.  Plug back in, power up again.  If the beeping occurs with the same stick of RAM in both slots, it's a bad stick.  If the beeping occurs with 1 stick of RAM but not the other, it's a bad stick of RAM.   

If you only have 1 stick of RAM, try another known good in the system to be sure, performing the same test as I described above.   

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:18 AM

The Optiplex has diagnostic lights on the back. Check pages 57 - 60.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/418671/Dell-Optiplex-330.html?page=57#manual

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 May 2015 - 09:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users