Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new processor, PC will not start!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wonderings

wonderings

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:46 PM

I have a PC that I upgraded... or tried to upgrade the CPU today. The PC is about a year and a bit old, had an i5 cpu. I bought an i7 4790K LGA1150. When I put in the new CPU with heatsink and plugged it all in, the PC started for a brief moment, all the fans whirred accept the heatsink and then shut down, then repeated again fans (save heatsink) whirred and shut down. It keeps doing this till I power it down. I checked the cables, everything is connected correctly. I put back in the old i5 processor and used the new heatsink and every started up properly and booted into Win 8.1 64 bit with no issue. 

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3. I have a 750w PSU, 8 gigs of ram and a GTX 970 4gigs. Again, everything works fine with the i5 chip installed, but not with the i7. I have never replaced a cpu before, could this be a bad CPU? I tried looking for any updates to my BIOS but it looks like there is no updates for it and has never been any updates for it. So bad CPU or am I missing something?

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

Have you cleared the CMOS?

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 wonderings

wonderings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

Have you cleared the CMOS?

What is the CMOS? This is my first time delving into replacing a CPU, only done GPU and PSU before.

#4 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:05 PM

Take out the button cell battery on the motherboard with the computer unplugged. Leave it out for 10-15 minutes to make sure the memory is gone, put it back in and try it with the new CPU.

#5 wonderings

wonderings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:05 PM

Take out the button cell battery on the motherboard with the computer unplugged. Leave it out for 10-15 minutes to make sure the memory is gone, put it back in and try it with the new CPU.

Ok tried that, power cable unplugged from the PC, removed the cell battery for an hour, put the battery back in, plugged it in and started up. Same problem as before.

#6 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:43 PM

Okay. The motherboard and BIOS does support a new Haswell CPU. It could very well be a bad CPU. Try to make an RMA with Intel.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/warranty

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:26 PM

Go back to the original CPU and confirm that all still works that way.

#8 wonderings

wonderings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:06 AM

Go back to the original CPU and confirm that all still works that way.

When I first saw it was not working I put the original CPU back in to see if it worked like normal, and it did. I am going to return the CPU to the store I bought it on Monday. I just bought it today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users