Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot from SSD after windows partition cloning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 George300

George300

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:23 PM

Using EaseUS Todo Backup Free 8.2, I cloned my win7 partition (Disk 0 in the image) to a new ssd (Disk 1 in the image).

disks.jpg

When I boot from Disk 1, the boot menu options remain the same as before (WINXP, WIN7, WIN7_2) and do not include the new windows in the new ssd (WIN7_NEW).
I booted from a "Repair disc Windows 7 32-bit". In the "System Recovery Options" there was no operating system listed. I clicked Next and did a Startup Repair. I then booted from Disk 1 and opened Disk Management, but there was no Primary Partition on Disk 1. I did that 3 times, but to no avail.
How can I make windows boot from my new ssd, while keeping my old windows?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

Hi George300 :)

The main problem here is that you cannot boot from your Windows partition on the SSD, because as you can see, there's no boot partition, no boot files on it. Hence why you cannot boot on it. What I suggest you to do is to delete the clone you did, create a Primary Partition, then once done, right-click on it and select Mark as active. From there, restore the cloned partition on it, and try to boot from it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 George300

George300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:07 AM

Thanks. I am doing some work on this and I will let you know of the results.

#4 George300

George300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:02 PM

Here is the solution for anyone interested:
http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/369425-cannot-boot-ssd-after-windows-partition-cloning-post3064196.html#post3064196

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:07 PM

Well glad that you found a solution to your issue :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users