Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A General Query About A Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:12 AM

Hey guys, I'm new around here. Heya!
I was just wondering if anyone could help me out.

Right now I have installed an
XpertVision Ati Radeon x700 SuperPro
512Mb ddr2
Core speed: 400
Mem speed: 350

And I was thinking of buying an
XpertVision Ati Radeon x1300 SuperPro
512mb ddr2
core speed: 600
mem speed: 800

Which one would run better? It seemed stupid to me at first, because the x700 cost me 240 bucks, around 6 months ago, and I saw this card for only 150. Any ideas people for the difference in price change? Or is it just time related and the x1300 is a lot better?
Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:46 AM

Hello, and let me be the first to welcome you to bleepingcomputer!

It looks like time is the only thing to blame for the price change. Graphic cards always get upgraded, and older models become cheaper becuase of this. The x700 may have been top-of-the-line when you bought it, but now it's an old model and won't sell for nearly as much. The x1300 is a faster card, but may not be top-of-the-line, causing its price to drop.

The x1300 is definately faster. The only thing you may want to check is your Power Supply to make sure it can handle an upgraded Graphics Card.

Posted Image

#3 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:50 AM

Yes, the 1300 would be better. The X1300 has 4 pipes, and if the 3:1 shader to pipe ratio is there, then theoritically the 1300 has 12 shaders. The equals better image quality with the same performance that the X700 offers. The X1300 does not need more power than the X700, so given that your power supply is atleast a 350w, the card should run fine.

Plus, 512mb RAM is not worth it, unless the memory has a 256 bit of 512 bit memory interface.

Edited by legoman786, 04 July 2006 - 10:51 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 xtatik222k

xtatik222k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:39 PM

Rightyo,
thanks a lot guys. I bought the card on ebay last night and have been sketching out ever since. Thanks a lot!
:thumbsup:
-jack

#5 xtatik222k

xtatik222k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:43 PM

By the way, what do you guys think as a percentage value, the performance of this new card will be to the old one? I was just curious? Will it be notceably different?

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:32 PM

It will be noticably different between the two cards. Because the X700 is pure raw performance, and the X1300 takes that same performance and turns it into better image quality.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#7 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:55 PM

The X700 in benchmark tests I've seen proved a little ahead of the X1300 in pure Frame rates, but the X1300 does offer better features such as HDR+Anti-aliasing at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users