Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safari is infected with something on my Mac

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OhJohanna

OhJohanna

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:15 PM

It was my fault, I admit it. I tried to download a book from an unknown source. I was led to a page that said " 3 easy steps to clean your mac" and a bunch of pop-ups followed that say:

http://firewall-security-warning.yileaks.co.in

Alert.

Suspicious Activity Detected. Your browser may be redirected as an anonymous activity has found.

Major Security Glitch.

To fix, please call System Security Support at +1-844-546-9003 (Toll Free) immediately.

If I click ok, more and more pop ups come up, and there are a whole bunch of tabs of the same thing, and 2 browser windows open. I quit safari and when I reopened, the same thing popped up. I tried force-quitting, restarting the laptop, and nothing helps. I am using firefox right now because I cannot use safari anymore. Most of the menu items are greyed out, so I cannot clear the browser history or anything. Please help! I don't have any logs because none of the log programs are for mac. If anyone can help me with this, I would appreciate it.

Johanna

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seedy21

seedy21

• Malware Response Team
  • 742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

Hi OhJohanna

Please do not contact them !

I'm afraid the tool's we use in the section are created for Window Operating Systems and will not run on a Apple Computer. I do know of a Tool we can try to see if it detected and remove this issue.

AdwareMedic

Please download AdwareMedic from Here

• Go to your Downloads folder in Finder and double-click AdwareMedic.dmg .
  • You will need to Drag and Drop AdwareMedic.app into the Applications Folder.
  • Once this has been completed, click on Applications folder, then double click AdwareMedic to open the Application.
  • If you get a Window asking you If you would like to run the Application click Open.
  • Next screen will ask you if you would like to donate to the program, I will leave this up to you if you would like to do so.
  • The program will check for updates, Once this has been completed, click Scan for Adware.

If you get the screen No Adware was found, this means the program can't see infection.
If you get the screen Adware detected, make sure all is selected and click Remove Selected. If the software asked you to reboot, please do so.
Once your machien has rebooted I would run AdwareMedic again and click Scan for Adware to make sure it has successfully removed the infection.

“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.”
― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

unite_blue.png

#3 OhJohanna

OhJohanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:36 AM

Hi,

Thanks for trying to help. I had tried that software too, but it did not detect anything. But the good news is I managed to fix it. I uninstalled Safari with a program called "clean my Mac 3". For anyone having the same problem, you can find that program here: http://macpaw.com/download/cleanmymac

Once you launch the app, you click on "uninstaller" and select Safari from the program's list, and then click "Remove" at the bottom. Pretty straight forward. After that I downloaded Safari again from CNET, and the problem was gone! Of course I lost all my favorites and settings etc, but it was a small price to pay to get rid of the virus and regain access to safari.

#4 seedy21

seedy21

• Malware Response Team
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:13 AM

Thank you for the update OhJohanna. If you don't any other issues I will close this topic.

unite_blue.png

#5 seedy21

seedy21

• Malware Response Team
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:08 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

unite_blue.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users