Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What password?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 altonius

altonius

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

My laptop is usually powered up 24/7 and set to "sleep" when I close the lid. Recently, the power was shut off and when I turned it on it booted straight into the administrator account, bypassing the password. I signed out and restarted. It booted straight into the administrator account.

I ran Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro. Both give a clean bill of health. I ran netstat in cmd prompt and they also showed O.K.

I'm guessing it's a local bug. Has anyone had this problem? Any ideas folks?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

In the Search box, type control userpasswords2, and then press ENTER. Ensure that the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box is filled.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 altonius

altonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:44 PM

Hey zcomputerwiz, thanks for the reply.

I maybe wasn't clear enough in my O.P. The password on the administrator account is intact.

I have 3 accounts on the computer (HP Envy m6). When I power up the machine it should boot to the lock screen.

I then click on that and the screen should then show the 3 accounts. 2 of which do not have passwords.

The problem is that the computer boots straight into the admin. account. That's even after I signed out on the previous

session. If I sign out of the admin. account and move to the regular account, and then go back to the admin. account, it asks for 

the password. 

So, bypassing the admin. password only happens on reboot or start up. Security wise, it's not that big a deal. The machine never

leaves the house, so no-one but my wife and I has access, but things that shouldn't happen bug the hell out of me!

Anyway, if you or anyone else have anymore ideas I would appreciate it.

#4 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

It might be the "prompt for password on resume" option in your power configuration.

See this page for how to change it: Password Protection on Wakeup

#5 altonius

altonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:44 AM

I have checked all the settings for password/wake up etc. Like I said before, the password is in place.

Once I'm on the lock screen I need to enter the password to gain access to the admin. account.

It's only on restart or when I power up the unit that it boots straight into the admin. account.

#6 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

This is the expected behavior when automatic sign-in is turned on.

The way to verify if this is the case is to run 'control userpasswords2' or 'netplwiz'.

If the box titled 'users must enter a username and password to use this computer' is unchecked, automatic sign-in is turned on and the user that last restarted or shut down the computer will be automatically logged in on the next startup.

no_auto_sign_in.png

Please verify that this box is checked :)

Alternatively, you could run regedit and navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon

If there are entries AutoAdminLogon, DefaultUserName, and DefaultPassword where AutoAdminLogon is set to 1, this feature is enabled and will log in using whichever user is listed in DefaultUserName with the password saved in DefaultPassword.

Edited by zcomputerwiz, 12 May 2015 - 12:21 PM.

#7 altonius

altonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:48 PM

Hey zcomputerwiz!

Thanks for your persistence. I used the 'netplwiz' command to access the user accounts and the box was indeed unchecked.

I must have done that at some point when messing around -- don't know.

So, everything is right once again in my little world! Thanks again.

#8 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

Glad I could be of assistance :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users