Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt USB?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rawkstar

Rawkstar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:01 PM

Hey there everyone, so I've got a real problem here. I have this DANE 16GB USB, and it is giving me a lot of problems. I've been trying to copy files over, but when I do, it tells me that the disc is right protected. Now, there's no switches or buttons on the side of the drive, so it's all in the hardware. I've gone into CMD and messed with the DISKPART command, still to no avail. Whenever I go to format the disk, I get the exact same error. There have been a few times where I've been able to format the disk, but for some reason, each time I format it and then try to use it, I'm sent back to square one. I've tried using the clean command and the format command in the CMD, but nothing is working. All I want to do is reset the disk to factory settings in a FAT32 format. So, what am I doing wrong, and how do I fix this?

Windows 7, 64-bit operating system

Edited by Rawkstar, 09 May 2015 - 03:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:19 PM

Hello, and Welcome I know that Sandisk flash drives become write-protected if a fault is detected. I am not sure about DANE. You can try the low-level format tool here.

http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

#3 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:51 AM

Hi there Rawkstar, and welcome! 

You should follow @JohnC_21 advice and I wanted to add - check the Flash drive for viruses , depending on the antivirus software that you have, you may even be able to configure it to automatically scan USB Drives when they are plugged in. Also - did you try it on another PC? What did you enter in CMD? Have you tried: Attrib -h -r -s /s /d G:/*.* (use your drive letter instead of G) 

If everything you try fails - it's safe to assume that the drive is damaged and needs to be replaced. Best regards, Citizen_WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users