Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista won't start. Won't repair or restore.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chrysta

Chrysta

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

I used my computer until the battery ran out, which I do occasionally and never have a problem with.

I plugged it in and turned it on and it went straight into Start up Repair. It came up with nothing and I restarted and it went back to start up repair. This time is showed an error: d0000144 unknown hard error. Root cause: No OS files found on disk. Repair action: partition table repair. Result: failed. Error code: 0x490. And then it just sat there. I restarted again, start up repair again, exception unknown software exception 0x000409 in application at location 0x7770aaa and it said winpeshl.exe and then just sat there.

I tried to restore, but not only did it say I had no restore points, it said: Your computer is running in a limited diagnostic state.

So, I got my Vista disk. I tried the system repair and it did nothing. I went to system restore and it did the same exact thing... no restore points and wouldn't make a restore point because of the limited diagnostic state. (Also for some reason my computer won't make automatic restore points even though I have it set to do that. And I made a restore point a couple weeks ago and it's apparently saying that it isn't there.)

I ran a pre-boot assessment and got error code: 0146, error code: 2000-0146. Hard drive 0 - self test log contains previous errors. It's still finishing the rest of the tests now.

I was thinking of trying to do an upgrade of vista because that's supposed to not delete all of my files. But can you run an upgrade of vista when vista is already installed on the computer? If I can, I think that sounds like a pretty good idea.

But, before I do that, I rather come on here and ask your advice.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

Hate to say it but, it sounds like the hard drive is dying. Since they are mechanical, with moving parts, they do eventually wear out. :(

#3 Chrysta

Chrysta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:40 AM

Should I try to upgrade Vista?

Anyone else have any input?

If it is dying and I can't fix it should I take it to Geek Squad to retrieve my stuff?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

To be sure that the hdd is failing you could use the diagnostic tool that the manufacturer provides to create a bootable disc to run the test without needing the operating system.  In order to do this you will have to remove the hdd in order to see who the manufacturer is.

If you post the make and model of this computer I will see if I can locate a video to show you how to remove the hdd.

If you have access to a desktop computer you could install it in it to access the contents of your hdd and see if you can right click on the data you want  and send it to a flash drive.  Depending on the condition of the hdd (if it will spin up) you may or may not be able to retrieve your data.  I wouldn't take this to the geek squad, you may wind up spending between $70. and $200. if you let them do this.

An example of sending data to a flash drive.

If you can click on document, or pictures, or other files you can right click on the file (Documents is a file) you can right click on it and use the options to Send, you then would have options of where you can send the file.  I haven't used Vista is years, but it may be listed as "send to sub device".

Removing or installing a hdd is very simple as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Chrysta

Chrysta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

I found a local computer repair guy. He said that the hard drive was fine, but I got a new one anyway. He said the problem was most likely caused by Vista corrupting itself when the battery ran out.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:27 AM

If you were running the laptop on the battery without using the power adapter as well the computer will experience a hard shut down when the battery charge is depleted.  Files that are open at that time can be damaged.

Unfortunately you can't do a repair installation with the installation disc without starting the computer.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users