Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System icons are disabled and cannot be enabled NETWORK and ACTION CENTER

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reallavoie

reallavoie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:41 PM

I have a problem with the system icons, specially the NETWORK and ACTION CENTER icons, they 

are disabled and I can't enable them.
This is on a HP Pavilion dv6 notebook, 64 bit,  P/N WQ627UA#ABC, running Windows 7 Home 

Premium, sp 1.

The main issue with this problem is that there is no WIFI icon in the notification area of 

the taskbar, and therefore I cannot search or see available networks. I cannot search in 

the Networking center either.

Now I know that it is not a hardware issue because I have done two tests.
The first test was to restore the laptop to it's original status by restoring from the 

recovery partition. Then all is well, the icons are there and I can see the available 

networks.
The second test was after going back to the problem setup I activated the HP Quick Web 

feature, and again all is well. (the HP Quick Web feature is a software that launches on 

startup before Windows starts, it allow the user to surf and check mail, ect.)

I have tried quite a few proposed solutions.

1 Ran Malwarebytes anti-virus MBAM
2 Ran Malwarebytes anti Rootkits and ADWCLEANER
3 Ran SFC /scannow and Chdk
4 Ran TDSSkiller
5 Ran Junkware Remover
6 Ran Combofix
7 Tried to modify the Registry entries for EXPLORER
8 Remove a bunch of programs that were added recently
9 Ran AVIRA anti virus
10 Ran Norton 360
11 Updated BIOS
12 Ran multiple FIXIT softwares

Now I need more help, 
How to check which service or which DLL file are not running?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

Now I know that it is not a hardware issue because I have done two tests.

The first test was to restore the laptop to it's original status by restoring from the 
recovery partition. Then all is well, the icons are there and I can see the available 
networks.

The second test was after going back to the problem setup I activated the HP Quick Web 
feature, and again all is well. 

So... there is no more problem?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 reallavoie

reallavoie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:04 PM

Well, not quite because I went back to the setup with the problem because of all the programs that are installed. When I am at home the system connects to my home network so I can use the laptop. But I would like to get this issue fixed without having to reinstall everything.

Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:51 PM

Follow Steps 6-8 of Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html and initiate a new topic in the forum which contains the Prep Guide.  Paste in the content of your ComboFix log, if available.

Once that is done, this topic will be closed to avoid confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users