Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Stuck in Loop of Installing Programme

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 allastration

allastration

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:42 AM

A number of months ago I installed LiveDrive which is a cloud backup programme.  This included an updated .NET framework. The installation crashed half way but when rebooted it has successfully installed and works fine.  Ever since though when i reboot my computer it tried to complete the installation and an error message come up saying there is already an instance of setup running, even though its already installed and working and running on start up anyway - screen shot attached.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the framework and livedrive but no change.  everything works fine, except recently i tried to do a system restore but it fails as it thinks its awaiting a restart.  I have tried to repair by reinstalling windows without formating the drive but again it gets stuck and says unable to complete as the system file is awaiting reboot.

Does anyone have any suggestions how i can get out of this loop and stop windows attempting to complete the installation on every boot up?  Any help is appreciated as i would rather not have to start completely new windows install and at the moment i am in danger of any minor issue without being able to restore could be terrible!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:44 AM

Hi allastration :)

Can you follow the instructions below?

sUc2qjf.pngAutoruns - Start-up Entries
Follow the instructions below to give me an Autoruns log containing your start-up entries:
  • Download Autoruns.zip from the Sysinternals Suite webpage;
  • Extract the content of the Autoruns.zip folder where you want, then go in the folder, right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • Accept the EULA on opening, then wait for all the entries to load;
  • Click on File then Save and save the file to a location easily accessible as a .arn (Autoruns) file;
  • Go on ge.tt and upload the Autoruns file you saved;
  • Once done, post the download URL of your uploaded file in your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 allastration

allastration
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:49 AM

Hi, Thanks for your quick reply, here's the link, hope you can help!

http://ge.tt/9H8GG4G2/v/0?c

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:06 PM

I think I got it. In your Autoruns, find these two entries (they are close to the beginning). Right-click on them and select Delete.

f1vSYf1.png

Once done, run TFC and restart your computer.

3DPGbxe.pngTemp File Cleaner (TFC)
  • Download and execute Temp File Cleaner (TFC);
  • Simply click on Start to launch the clean-up and wait until it completes;
    s5yB2E8.png
  • Depending on which processes are running, all your programs will be closed and explorer.exe (your Windows shell) will be killed, it will however be relaunched shortly after so do not panic;
  • There's no log to give for this tool;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 allastration

allastration
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

Aura, i cant thank you enough. All sorted!  Much appreciated.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:15 PM

No problem allastration, my pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users