Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode/internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tamegomaith

tamegomaith

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:45 AM

Just one simple question folks.

Should one be able to connect to the internet in Safe mode?? I have tried this on some of the profiles on my PC and it does not seem to work. And if not, why not? tks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:21 AM

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "Profiles"?
Safe Mode with Network Support should allow you basic access to the internet. Some of the plugins like some of the drivers will not work in Safe Mode.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:58 AM

For a while my computer was really sickly with viruses and wasn't working with internet, but I tried running Windows with safe mode and after that the Internet worked fine, so my answer, I guess, is no and yess, because there are probably special viruses that you need in order to get it to work.
I might've picked safe mode with networking, that's probably the case. Either way, it fixed it and then everything was fine on my computer. Odd, eh?

Posted Image

#4 tamegomaith

tamegomaith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "Profiles"?

I meam the profiles that you are presented with when you start up your PC i.e. Administrator, James, Guest, etc. Know what I mean.

Think you've answered my question though. To connect to the internet in safe mode I need to select Safe Mode with Network Support which I have not been doing, so thanks.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:15 PM

nyiddle It is not that you are being ignored but it appears that your post is a different problem than is going on. If you could start your own thread I am sure somebody will be able to help you better. It also makes it easier to help because we do not have two threads going at the same time in the same place.

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,584 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:05 PM

Safe Mode with Networking may not work on every machine tho, so don't be concerned if it still doesn't work for you.

There is not much info out there about which machines it doesn't work on--I'm pretty sure I've heard it won't work on XP Home. But don't quote me on that.

Your hardware and type of connection may make a difference too.

Note: this mode does not support a pc card or modem.

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:MMgGk...t=clnk&cd=4

That basically means if you're on dialup you're out of luck.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#7 tamegomaith

tamegomaith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:59 AM

Tried Safe Mode with Network Support and this gave me internet access. so thanks. And its XP home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users