Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Borg Edition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 gazygaz

gazygaz

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:41 AM

I know a guy who has got this on disk and he has asked me if I want to put it on my computer because my
computer keeps crashing ad costing me fortunes to get it fixed and the problem keeps coming back..
When I last took it in the shop the guy told me its because I have corrupt files on the Windows XP software I already have and my mate has told me this will possibly sort the problem..

Has anyone used this copy of Windows XP before and do you think it is worth a try????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gazygaz

gazygaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

Does nobody know anything about this software then?????????

#3 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:01 AM

I've never heard of an XP Borg edition..... but the again XP comes in many packages....
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#4 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:37 AM

The XP Borg Edition is a cracked version (illegal) of Windows. It may solve your problems with corrupt software, but you will just get additional problems with WGA detecting a pirated copy of windows. I don't know anything about this specific version, but these customized installations of Windows usually don't come with everything Windows has to offer, and you may lose compatibility with some external hardware (digital camera, iPod, printer, etc.)

Posted Image

#5 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:44 AM

The XP Borg Edition is a cracked version (illegal) of Windows. It may solve your problems with corrupt software, but you will just get additional problems with WGA detecting a pirated copy of windows. I don't know anything about this specific version, but these customized installations of Windows usually don't come with everything Windows has to offer, and you may lose compatibility with some external hardware (digital camera, iPod, printer, etc.)

Are all illegal copies of Windows XP borg editions?
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:52 AM

Depending on precisely what your "friend" means, XP Borg Edition could be either a fresh install of XP with SP2. Or a pirated copy bundled with other pirated apps. Since a pirated version is not supported you are no better off than you were before.

Be (Resistance is Futile) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,739 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:59 AM

No, some are copies of "Enterprise" i.e. corporate versions. Borg usually denotes bundled with other cracked/hacked, software/applications. Hence the allusion to assimilated software. However legitimate XP with SP2 was also nicknamed "The Borg Editon" also. Usually it refers to the pirate version with the bundled apps.

Da Animal

Edit: spelling correction

Edited by Animal, 04 July 2006 - 11:01 AM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#8 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:14 AM

No, that's usually just the name it's creator gave it. Borg is a common name given, as well as Scene Edition or Windows XP SP3. As Animal said, their known for the bundled applications (also illegal) that come with them. I would stay away from this and either find somebody with a legit copy of windows or buy a new one.

Posted Image

#9 gazygaz

gazygaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:08 AM

Depending on precisely what your "friend" means, XP Borg Edition could be either a fresh install of XP with SP2. Or a pirated copy bundled with other pirated apps. Since a pirated version is not supported you are no better off than you were before.

Be (Resistance is Futile) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

I have now been told by him it is windows XP with SP2 and a few additional extra programmes on it.
He says it is just a backup to his system. I put this version on last night and everything seems to be running better than ever now.

The additional extra programmes are just Microsoft Office, Nero, and DVD Compresseor.

Does this seem like the problems could possibly solved and my computer will stay running fine or is it possibly just going to be a tempory fix.

Thanks for the info guys!!

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,739 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:55 PM

He says it is just a backup to his system.

That one statement says enough. It is not a legal copy. Only one user to a legal copy of XP. Once a copy of XP is registered, it cannot be used by anyone else on another machine. You will not be able to get support or any updates with this copy. And the "extra" programs mentioned in your post confirm it is a pirate copy. At best you have a temporary illegal fix. With that being said, this topic is now closed.

Animal, Forum Moderator

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users