Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

newbie need help with windows 7

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DAN EDENS

DAN EDENS

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:37 PM

new to fixing computers ...I need help hope im in the rite place ..I have a computer running windows 7 64 bit .I had a 80 gig hard drive that was going bad so I replaced it with a 320 gig drive. I did a create image with an external hard drive to transfer all info to the new hard drive..every thing work but the 320 gig hard drive only shows 298 on my speccy64 program.and I have 4 gigs of memory (ram) but it said only3.49 usable....please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:14 PM

Hi DAN EDENS :)

Is it possible for you to show us that Speccy report? Also, about the hard drive space, this is totally normal. You don't get access to the whole space of the hard drive. Basically, in the hard drive manufacturer world, the base used to calculate storage is a base of 10, while computers uses a base of 2. Which means that in the hard drive manufacturer world, a kilobyte is seen as 1,000 bytes, while on a computer, it's seen as 1,024 bytes. So for every gigabyte on the hard drive advertised by the hard drive manufacturer, you get around 70MB less in reality on a computer. So if your hard drive is a 320GB one, you actually have 320GB - (320x 70MB = 22.4GB) = around 298GB of usable space, and this is what you're currently seeing. My two 1TB drives shows up as 931GB drives. If you do the maths, it all adds up.

ik5xYHs.pngSpeccy - Publish a snapshot
Follow the instructions below to download and install Speccy, then to publish a snapshot of your system information:
  • Download and install Speccy from Piriform (the download will start automatically a few seconds after clicking on the Speccy link);
    Note: You can opt-out the Google Toolbar installation if you want;
  • Once Speccy is installed, launch the program and give it a good minute to load all your system information;
  • After that, click on the File menu in the top left corner, and select Publish Snapshot;
  • A window will appear asking you to confirm your decision to publish a snapshot. Click on Yes;
  • A new window will appear after, with a URL link to your snapshot. Click on Copy to Clipboard button to copy that URL to your clipboard, then paste it in your next reply and post it;

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 DAN EDENS

DAN EDENS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:27 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/DIxosSElug3ikXeXsHcPrY0

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:31 PM

Can I have your computer brand and model please?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 DAN EDENS

DAN EDENS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:37 PM

dell ..... model # DCNE

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:42 PM

Well now I know it's a "Dell Optiplex". I just need to know the number after. Most likely a 700 series.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#7 DAN EDENS

DAN EDENS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:43 PM

OPTIPLEX GX 620

Edited by DAN EDENS, 08 May 2015 - 10:44 PM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:52 PM

There might be an issue here. Follow the instructions below please.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • List Devices - Only Problems;
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 DAN EDENS

DAN EDENS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:56 PM

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:58 PM

This is a Speccy snapshot, I'm asking for a MiniToolBox report.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 DAN EDENS

DAN EDENS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:58 PM

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 14-04-2015
Ran by Jakie4 (administrator) on 08-05-2015 at 23:54:30
Running from "C:\Users\Jakie4\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\CHNLVPSS"
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional  Service Pack 1 (X64)
Model: OptiPlex GX620 Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Devices: ================================

**** End of log ****

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:13 PM

Your BIOS is up to date, so we can leave this out of the picture. I'm impressed you got all the drivers for that computer, since on Dell's website, it supports up to Windows XP 64-bits maximum. Alright, click on the Start Menu and enter msconfig then press on on Enter. Go under the Boot tab and click on the Advanced Options... button. Take a screenshot of the window that will appear and post it here please.

mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 DAN EDENS

DAN EDENS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:51 PM

Attached Files

#14 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:53 AM

new to fixing computers ...I need help hope im in the rite place ..I have a computer running windows 7 64 bit .I had a 80 gig hard drive that was going bad so I replaced it with a 320 gig drive. I did a create image with an external hard drive to transfer all info to the new hard drive..every thing work but the 320 gig hard drive only shows 298 on my speccy64 program.and I have 4 gigs of memory (ram) but it said only 3.49 usable....please help!

Here's an example:

320GB = 298GB 

500GB = 465GB

1TB=931GB       

2TB=1.81TB   

This is because there is a 7.37% pseudo-overhead in capacity with hard drives.

Like your hdd is 320gb let me do this the mathematical way.

1GB = 1.074GB

320gb divided by 1.074 = equals 298GB actual size: 297.951582868

My 2tb hdd is 2tb but only shows 1.81tb same thing 1000 divide by 1.074 = 1862.19739292 or less

This is why you see 298gb not 320gb. Because there is a 7% pseudo-overhead in capacities with all hard drives.

With the RAM you said 3.49GB usable out of 4GB

However not all 4GB of the RAM can be used (the unusable 0.51GB is only preallocated for graphics in the BIOS)

Answers your question mate only learnt about this in I.T 2 Days ago...

Edited by RobertHD, 09 May 2015 - 05:54 AM.

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#15 DAN EDENS

DAN EDENS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:01 AM

thank you Roberthd. so it is what it is........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users