Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headphones don't appear in playback devices

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coolyellow4

coolyellow4

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:17 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm hoping this is a simple mistake on my part, but my headphones do not show up in the Playback Devices tab of Audio manager (win7) when I plug them in. FYI, I have set the audio manager to show disabled and disconnected devices. When sound is being played, it does not play through the laptop speakers or my headphones. For example, here I am being told sound is played, but I can not hear anything.

I have Realtek HD audio manager installed on my laptop, and it recognises something has been plugged in, as I get a popup. However, there is no mention of it in the Realtek software. I don't think it is a jack issue as I hear a small burst of static when I plug the headphones in.

I'm guessing it is a driver issue, but I'm not sure which drivers it is, and I'm cautious of installing them, because I know installing the wrong ones can mess up your computer. When I originally plugged the headphones in, it said it had install the devices drivers, and I'm up-to-date on Windows Updater[3] , so I've no idea where to get them.

Here is my list of drivers, and the device instance path of the driver shown is:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_15587481&REV_1003\4&2A62303B&0&0001

I hope you can help, and thanks for reading!

PS: Just to note I can hear sound perfectly through my laptop speakers when my headphones are unplugged. The headphones are Sennheiser HD 205.

Edited by coolyellow4, 08 May 2015 - 06:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:46 PM

Have you checked here?

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/service-support-services-software-downloads

HeadSetup™ - Version 2.9

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 coolyellow4

coolyellow4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:04 AM

I had previously checked there but found nothing for my make of headphones (the HD 205). I installed the HeadSetup and it worked! Thank you very much! Just to be clear, do I have to run it when I use my headphones?

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

I would 'assume' that installing the software would make it available until you uninstall it.

Please note the 'assume' and confirm that repeat runnings aren't necessary

Dick

Dick E

#5 coolyellow42

coolyellow42

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

Hi Dick.

You were right in that I did not have to continuously run it, in fact, it worked perfectly yesterday. However, when I plugged my headphones in today, no sound came out, exactly similar to the situation before your help. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the HeadSetup, but to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help,
George

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:49 PM

George,

Just a guess but you might need to have the headphones plugged in when you turn the computer on for things to work correctly.

Dick

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users