Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Workplace Desktop in Lockdown. Need Help.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pkbrooks

pkbrooks

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

Have a Dell Inspiron (2014) with Windows 8.1.  Left it on last night.  Came in this morning and it wouldn't wake up.  Had to powerdown and upon restart it booted normally, but when the desktop came up I got a popup in the bottome left corner of the screen saying there was a drive-error and that the computer needed to be shutdown so it could run a disk repair.  Tried, but it was already locked up.  I did ctrl/alt/delete and chose restart.  Upon restart, the computer went through a length disk repair.  I step out of the office for a moment while it processed and came back and there was a pop up that had this error:

Realtek HD Audio Background Process for Vista: RAVBg64.exe - A....(rest unreadable)

-The instruction at 0x40028e28 referenced memory at 0x00000000.  The memory could not be read. 

-Click on OK to terminate the program

-Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

I tried both options.  Both make the pop up disappear but give me nothing more than a black screen in permanent lock.  I have to press the power button to completely shutdown, let it rest and then restart.  I have only tried twice, don't want to cause anymore damage, the popup is currently up right now.

Any help would be great.  Thanks!

keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pkbrooks

pkbrooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

Add...Tried safe mode.  Can't get there.  Nothing I do will let me it.  Talked to a computer tech and they are saying drive failure???

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:36 PM

Are you aware that you can not boot into Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key as you could in earlier versions?

Did you create a repair disc when you first got this computer?

Do you have all of your important data backed up on removable media?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 pkbrooks

pkbrooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

1. Am now...unfortunately.

2. No

3. No

#5 pkbrooks

pkbrooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:44 PM

correction.  I have the important data, now.  Got the drive out and hooked up to another tower and pulled the data.

Don't have a repair disk, but really seeing this as a possible virus...it's a weird thing...why does the error show a Vista issue when this is a Windows 8.1 machine?

#6 pkbrooks

pkbrooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:45 PM

Arach...Sierra Foothills huh?  Do you know the Kern River?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:40 PM

Was the installation of Windows 8.1 a upgrade from Vista?

What is the make and model of this computer.

Regarding the Kern river.  This river originates around the Tulare county and flows 165 miles down to Southern California.  But yes, of the Kern river.  I live off of I-80 at the 3,000 ft elevation.  So I'm quite a distance from the Kern river.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 pkbrooks

pkbrooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

No...9 month old machine. Came with Windows 8.  Upgraded to 8.1.

Dell XPS with i7 3.2 GHz with 16 gb RAM and 2 TB HD

#9 pkbrooks

pkbrooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:56 AM

Anyone have any knowledge about this error?  Machine is still in lockdown.  Was told that the drive probably failed.  True?  The mention of Vista is a bit suspicious to me.  Because of the Windows 8 removal of safe-mode at startup, I can't get into anything but the bios.  Just need a bit of a push in the right direction.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

Unfortunately, without a installation disc there isn't much that can be done to resolve this.

If you have your data backed up to removable media you could try using the recovery partition to reset the operating system to the way it was when it first came out of the box.  This will remove all of your data, pictures, programs you've installed online or from a disc, etc.

If you don't have your data backed up you could remove the hdd and connect it to a desktop directly, not via USB.  You could then right click on files you want to save and choose send to USB device, such as a flash drive.

If you want to do this and don't have the user's manual I can point you toward instructions for this.

#11 pkbrooks

pkbrooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:44 PM

Got a hold of dell.  Total OS corruption.  Not sure how.  Going through recovery now.  Got the data before which is good.  Thanks

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

I'm glad to hear you had the data backed up.  This is something that we emphasize on a regular basis.  Yet we still see a large number of members who have lost all of the important data because of this type of failure.  Hopefully the only thing you will lose will be your time to fix this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users