Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"New" Seagate HDD not listed in My Computer

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 pigskinzen

pigskinzen

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:09 AM

Dell DXP061

System Type: X86-based PC

Processor Type: Intel Core 2 CPU 6400@2.13GHz

Processor Clock Speed: 2.13 GHz

Dell Service Tag Number on case: C8K69C1
Mfg Date: 122006

I while ago I had one of the original WD 250Gb HDDs fail within my Dell PC. I replaced it with a 500Gb Seagate and everything connected straightaway. The problem is that it does not appear when I open "My Computer" nor does it appear in Disk Manager, although Intel Matrix Storage Console recognizes the Seagate and old "good" WD.

When I hit F2 upon start up the Seagate is listed as attached to a Port as SATA RAID (sorry I am not sure what that means).  I opened the tower case and found the wires connecting from where the old and dead WD 250Gb HDD was and where the new Seagate 500Gb HDD is mounted. The wires trace back to a connection on the motherboard that is labeled "SATA1" which is immediately adjacent to where the "good" WD 250Gb HDD is connected which is labeled "SATA0".

After reading some forum posts I disconnected the wires leading from the Seagate and attached it to the motherboard where it was labeled "SATA4". I rebooted the PC and pressed F2 to "setup". In setup I made sure that SATA0 through SATA5 were "on". Saved and exited and although it recognizes that the Seagate 500Gb is on SATA4 in Bios, still nothing appears in Device Manager, Disk Management or My Computer.

I also tried SATA5 with the same results. After F2 setup RAID is the only choice, IDE, achi is not an option; end result is that Disk Management does not recognize Seagate HDD. I do not have an option for "RAID off" it is either "RAID on" or "RAID Autodetect".

How can this newbie obtain access to the Seagate so that I can free space on my C:? Please note that as a “newbie” I have limited knowledge of the computer vernacular. Your patience and assistance is appreciated in advance.

Edited by pigskinzen, 08 May 2015 - 09:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:43 AM

A new drive that is not formatted would appear in Disk Management but you first have to initialize it and then create a simple volume. With the new Seagate attached look for a disk in Disk Management labeled as not initialized. That would be your new Seagate. Click on the disk section and right click. Select Initialize.

initialize-disk.png

new-volume.png

#3 pigskinzen

pigskinzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the reply in plain English!

In my initial post:

"I while ago I had one of the original WD 250Gb HDDs fail within my Dell PC. I replaced it with a 500Gb Seagate and everything connected straightaway. The problem is that it does not appear when I open "My Computer" nor does it appear in Disk Manager, although Intel Matrix Storage Console recognizes the Seagate and old "good" WD. "

what happens when it is not listed in the Disk Management?

Edited by pigskinzen, 08 May 2015 - 05:53 PM.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:57 PM

I would make sure you try a different data cable and power cable.  Make sure the drive shows up in the BIOS.  If it appears in the bios then it should appear under disk management.

#5 pigskinzen

pigskinzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

In my initial post:

"After reading some forum posts I disconnected the wires leading from the Seagate and attached it to the motherboard where it was labeled "SATA4". I rebooted the PC and pressed F2 to "setup". In setup I made sure that SATA0 through SATA5 were "on". Saved and exited and although it recognizes that the Seagate 500Gb is on SATA4 in Bios, still nothing appears in Device Manager, Disk Management or My Computer."

What happens when it appears in the Bios as RAID and NOT in Disk Management?

Edited by pigskinzen, 08 May 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:52 PM

Do not plug it into a RAID SATA port.

#7 pigskinzen

pigskinzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

Do not plug it into a RAID SATA port.

so where should I plug it into on my motherboard?

#8 pigskinzen

pigskinzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

Dell DXP061

System Type: X86-based PC

Processor Type: Intel Core 2 CPU 6400@2.13GHz

Processor Clock Speed: 2.13 GHz

Dell Service Tag Number on case: C8K69C1
Mfg Date: 122006

I while ago I had one of the original WD 250Gb HDDs fail within my Dell PC. I replaced it with a 500Gb Seagate and everything connected straightaway. The problem is that it does not appear when I open "My Computer" nor does it appear in Disk Manager, although Intel Matrix Storage Console recognizes the Seagate and old "good" WD.

When I hit F2 upon start up the Seagate is listed as attached to a Port as SATA RAID (sorry I am not sure what that means).  I opened the tower case and found the wires connecting from where the old and dead WD 250Gb HDD was and where the new Seagate 500Gb HDD is mounted. The wires trace back to a connection on the motherboard that is labeled "SATA1" which is immediately adjacent to where the "good" WD 250Gb HDD is connected which is labeled "SATA0".

After reading some forum posts I disconnected the wires leading from the Seagate and attached it to the motherboard where it was labeled "SATA4". I rebooted the PC and pressed F2 to "setup". In setup I made sure that SATA0 through SATA5 were "on". Saved and exited and although it recognizes that the Seagate 500Gb is on SATA4 in Bios, still nothing appears in Device Manager, Disk Management or My Computer.

I also tried SATA5 with the same results. After F2 setup RAID is the only choice, IDE, achi is not an option; end result is that Disk Management does not recognize Seagate HDD. I do not have an option for "RAID off" it is either "RAID on" or "RAID Autodetect".

How can this newbie obtain access to the Seagate so that I can free space on my C:? Please note that as a “newbie” I have limited knowledge of the computer vernacular. Your patience and assistance is appreciated in advance.

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:26 PM

I wonder if you need to force the drive into 150 mode since this is an older system.

#10 pigskinzen

pigskinzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:32 PM

I wonder if you need to force the drive into 150 mode since this is an older system.

Both WD and Seagate HDDs are recognized by Intel Matrix Storage Console in Windows XP as RAID Hard Drives under "Array_0000" on Port0 (WD) and Port1 (Seagate). 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,610 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:59 PM

If the Seagate is clean and has not been formatted try the following. Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard (linux based). Burn the iso using Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image or use a USB flash drive and Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. Create a partition and format NTFS. Reboot the computer. Is the drive recognized?

In my post#2 I mentioned Disk Managment. Sometimes it is easy to miss a drive that has not been formatted. It will show as a not initalized disk. But from your response I take it that it is nothing is showing, not even a non-initialized disk. Partitioning and formatting the disk with Partition Wizard ( which should see the disk) may make Windows detect the drive.

#12 pigskinzen

pigskinzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:02 AM

On what do I perform this function?

"Burn the iso using Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image"

The download is an iso extension. I changed it to an exe extension but nothing happens.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,610 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:13 AM

You do not change the extension. Change the extension back to iso. On a Windows 7 computer place your blank disk in your optical burner drive and right click the iso file. Select Burn disk image.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd451080.aspx

If you do not have a disk and wish to use a USB flash drive to boot, run Rufus I linked to. In first dropdown box make sure your flash drive is listed. Select MBR partition scheme. In the dropdown box that lists FreeDos select iso image and click the small folder icon. Browse to your iso file of Partititon Wizard. Press Start.

Boot the USB flash drive or Disk and see if detects the Seagate drive. If it does, then create a Partition and Format it.

#14 pigskinzen

pigskinzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:32 AM

I followed these detailed instructions. Upon reboot the computer (Windows XP base) indicates that there is no boot device

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,610 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:04 PM

Were you using a disk or USB flash drive? Do you get a boot menu when tapping F12 at boot? With the USB flash drive attached or disk in the optical drive reboot and tap F12. You should get a boot menu showing the attached device. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users