Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sandwhale

sandwhale

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:27 AM

my problemsstarted a few months ago...
my computerstarted restarting itself but it happened rarely so i thought it may have been nothing important. thought my on/off button had jummed or something along those lines.
it started happening more regularly lately, so i got a friend to look at it and he thought everything was fine.
he believes it is an operating system failure, but we're not sure.

i have ewido, ad ad-aware and avg.
i ran a hi-jack this and it seemed fine.

i still believe i'm infected by a virus is there any further protection?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 05:39 AM

Welcome sandwhale

The symptoms you describe could be viral related or could be caused by hardware problems - faulty power supply, bad memory (RAM), cpu overheating, faulty fans, motherboard, etc.

However, just to be sure download and scan with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Then download and scan with Vcleaner Tool.

If your not finding any malware then its sounds like the latter problem. Open your machine and clean the fins on the heat sink that sits under the CPU - when they collect dust it restricts the airflow and prevents proper cooling; use a can of compressed air to remove all dust/debris; check your connections and fans to make sure they are working properly; and monitor the temperature. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to restart on a more regular basis like you are experiencing.

If nothing is found then do this:
1. Right click on My Computer and select properties.
2. Click Advanced tab.
3. Click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
4. Under System Failure uncheck Automatically Restart.
5. Click OK.

Doing this won't cure your problem but instead of restarting you will get a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem.

Download and run Motherboard Monitor 5. If Motherboard Monitor's seems to be reporting high temperatures for your CPU check to see what your max CPU temp is from here.

You can try Microsoft's Online Crash Analysis - The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests.

Also see Memtest86+: http://www.memtest.org/ and http://www.memtest86.com/

Edited by quietman7, 04 July 2006 - 05:48 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users