Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excessive RAM usage with only most needed processes?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 CG_5

CG_5

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:33 AM

Hi there,

Recently I have began experiencing some really annoying RAM issues. It appears that most of my RAM is being used (Around 50 - 60% of 8GB total.) 

even with only the necessary programs running. I have posted snapshots of things that might be useful to help diagnose the problem.

Here is the Imgur album link as BleepingComputer wouldn't let me upload them > http://imgur.com/a/mfdDp

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 08 May 2015 - 07:09 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:50 AM

Hi CG_5 :)

Is it possible to take new screenshots, but this time, click on the "Memory" column once to order the processes by RAM usage (from the highest to the lowest)?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

Hi CG_5,

It might also be worth clicking on "Show processes from all users" before ordering by memory usage in case the task that is consuming memory is not being run by you as the currently logged-on user.

Can you also expand the column for memory so we can see which one it is?  There are a number of different columns for memory - most likely you are showing "Private working set" but it's worth being sure.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#4 CG_5

CG_5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:08 PM

Hi CG_5,

It might also be worth clicking on "Show processes from all users" before ordering by memory usage in case the task that is consuming memory is not being run by you as the currently logged-on user.

Can you also expand the column for memory so we can see which one it is?  There are a number of different columns for memory - most likely you are showing "Private working set" but it's worth being sure.

Did you look through all the snapshots? I took about 2 photos with Show processes from all users.

#5 CG_5

CG_5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:10 PM

Hi CG_5 :)

Is it possible to take new screenshots, but this time, click on the "Memory" column once to order the processes by RAM usage (from the highest to the lowest)?

Here you are.

PR419TB.png

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,673 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:17 PM

It seems like the Steam Web Helper process is the top process, with the most RAM usage, followed by svchost.exe. Follow the instructions below please.

rONW46K.pngCheck for Windows Updates
Follow the instructions below to check for available Windows Updates and install them:
  • Click on the Windows Start Menu and select Control Panel;
  • From there, click on System and Security and select Windows Updates;
  • Click on the Check for updates button in the left-pane;
  • Wait for the scan to complete and see which updates are found, Recommended Updates and Recommended Updates (or Optional Updates);
  • Click on X Important Updates (X being the number of updates being found) and make sure that they are all checked;
  • Install every Important Updates found and restart your computer once it's done;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 CG_5

CG_5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:15 AM

It seems like the Steam Web Helper process is the top process, with the most RAM usage, followed by svchost.exe. Follow the instructions below please.

rONW46K.pngCheck for Windows Updates
Follow the instructions below to check for available Windows Updates and install them:

• Click on the Windows Start Menu and select Control Panel;
  • From there, click on System and Security and select Windows Updates;
  • Click on the Check for updates button in the left-pane;
  • Wait for the scan to complete and see which updates are found, Recommended Updates and Recommended Updates (or Optional Updates);
  • Click on X Important Updates (X being the number of updates being found) and make sure that they are all checked;
  • Install every Important Updates found and restart your computer once it's done;

Hi Aura,

I have managed to install 1 Important update and 9 optional updates, none have had any effect on the RAM usage (Computer was restarted).

LNEy3DA.png

#8 CG_5

CG_5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:28 AM

Getting real bad, really need some help on this one.

0N6pkyT.png

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,673 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:57 AM

Now if your web browser (Maxthon Nitro) using 785MB of RAM by itself. What are you doing in it? What extensions and plugins do you have enabled?

unite_blue.png

#10 CG_5

CG_5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:12 PM

Now if your web browser (Maxthon Nitro) using 785MB of RAM by itself. What are you doing in it? What extensions and plugins do you have enabled?

Hi there,

Maxthon Nitro was designed to be the most light weight web browser (no plugins) so it can't be any plugins. I have a bleeping computer tab and an Imgur tab open currently, which is not much considering it is somehow using 785MB. However I did recently do some Facebook browsing and a little Gmailing, those tabs are closed but I have a feeling it is storing information post-tab and using my memory.... Possible?

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,673 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

Looks like it's far from being the case here. And I doubt that would be the case to be honest. Maybe clearing the cache could help a little.

3DPGbxe.pngTemp File Cleaner (TFC)
  • Download and execute Temp File Cleaner (TFC);
  • Simply click on Start to launch the clean-up and wait until it completes;
    s5yB2E8.png
  • Depending on which processes are running, all your programs will be closed and explorer.exe (your Windows shell) will be killed, it will however be relaunched shortly after so do not panic;
  • There's no log to give for this tool;

unite_blue.png

#12 CG_5

CG_5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:48 AM

Looks like it's far from being the case here. And I doubt that would be the case to be honest. Maybe clearing the cache could help a little.

3DPGbxe.pngTemp File Cleaner (TFC)

• Download and execute Temp File Cleaner (TFC);
  • Simply click on Start to launch the clean-up and wait until it completes;
    s5yB2E8.png
  • Depending on which processes are running, all your programs will be closed and explorer.exe (your Windows shell) will be killed, it will however be relaunched shortly after so do not panic;
  • There's no log to give for this tool;

Hi there,

Did a scan and it removed some items, however, the ram usage is still up there.

qij4KaL.png

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,673 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:56 AM

Now it's svchost.exe, a Windows process that takes up most of your RAM, followed by Mozilla Firefox. What extensions and plugins do you have in it?

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system:
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command sfc /scannow (there's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow") and press on Enter;
  • Let the scan run until the end (100%), then copy/paste in your next reply the message that is returned after;
  • In addition, enter this next command in the command prompt you opened findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
  • A file called sfcdetails.txt will be created on your desktop. Upload it to ge.tt and post the download link in your next reply.

unite_blue.png

#14 CG_5

CG_5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:24 AM

Now it's svchost.exe, a Windows process that takes up most of your RAM, followed by Mozilla Firefox. What extensions and plugins do you have in it?

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system:

• On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command sfc /scannow (there's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow") and press on Enter;
  • Let the scan run until the end (100%), then copy/paste in your next reply the message that is returned after;
  • In addition, enter this next command in the command prompt you opened findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
  • A file called sfcdetails.txt will be created on your desktop. Upload it to ge.tt and post the download link in your next reply.

Responce once 100% complete:

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th
em.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Windows\system32>

Ge.tt sfcdetails.txt download > http://ge.tt/5OJKC9G2/v/0?c

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,673 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:18 AM

After the restart, does svchost.exe still uses huge amount of RAM?

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users