Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stress Tests

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:33 AM

Hey guys.

I am curious on what others think about stress and burn in tests.

I've been doing quite a few different tests on my new build's hardware since everything is still under warrenty and if anything proves to be defective, I can get it replaced.

So far, it has been a headache. Between 2 different FX 8350 (8 core) cpu's, I have run Prime95 tests which always drop at least 3 cores, OCCT tests which at first didn't fail but now do, and Sandra tests which always show errors between a few different pieces of hardware.

My frustration lies with both these cpu's being new from Amazon and both of them actually work fine with whatever I am doing on the computer.

Can someone help settle my frustration? Because it seems like I could get countless replacements from Amazon and they would show similar results.

Hulk_Tag.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:17 AM

Some will tell you that if it's working normally otherwise then it's OK.  Personally I don't subscribe to that as any system I've had that has failed tests like this has had stability issues which can affect it in unexpected ways. For example certain programs may continually crash, refuse to run at all or there may be random restarts or BSOD's.  The issues can take a while to show themselves.

The fault doesn't necessarily lie with the processor although that is the first place to look.  Cooling is something to look at.  It can be also be something like incorrect memory timing settings, or a faulty memory module. Processor faults are fairly rare in my experience anyway.

If you post up your systems full specifications (everything, including cooling, power supply, etc.), temperatures/voltages you are seeing via hardware monitoring and exactly what errors are occurring on what tests, then someone may be able to provide further insight.  It would also be helpful to provide a snapshot using Speccy.  Here is a guide on how to do this.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:39 PM

Prime95 is going to test all cores simultaneously most likely your core voltage is not enough to have all 8 running at the same time.  This is not really a fault of anything other than AMD's FX chip not reporting correctly to the mainboard on how much voltage it needs to run all cores at the same time.  This would be akin (not exactly) to overclocking, which I do not have any experience in with AMD chips.  But most likely this is your problem. Here is a good video I found about what I think your problem is (voltage).  So maybe your motherboard isn't up to par or maybe your PSU isn't up to par.  Theres so many combinations out there it is hard for us to tell what your exact problem is, even though I am sure it has to do with your cores' voltage.

#4 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

That is some great information. So basically, since I'm not overclocking, it doesn't matter, right? It's more or less my motherboard isn't set to overclock like the tests are trying to do? And changing my vcore would be where I'd start.

Hulk_Tag.png

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:49 PM

Yes.. basically what I am saying is that it does appear to be you have a problem but where that problem exists in your system is hard to say.  I don't know if maybe your motherboards' bios settings are incorrect or if maybe all you need to do is to up your vcore voltage (something I personally don't have a lot of experience with) would fix your particular problem.  But from the video in my opinion the problem  is your cpu cores are not getting the voltage they need to run all 8 cores at the same time.  Would upping the voltage fix this? Probably but since I really do not want to ' fry ' someones computer I don't want to advise thats what you do. Understand?  =)  But it appears from the video you could probably do some 'testing' on your own.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:04 PM

I think Vcore settings left at "Auto" will be fine as long as it's running at stock speed. Overclocking may need voltage tweaks. Would strongly recommend getting it stable at standard speed before even thinking about overclocking.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

Hey guys. I ended up reinstalling my operating system just to start fresh.

Plus, someone from Toms Hardware suggested I raise my DRAM +0.05v and once I did, I ran the OCCT test successfully.

Here are my results: http://postimg.org/gallery/1ygn06axe/

What do you guys think?

I think Vcore settings left at "Auto" will be fine as long as it's running at stock speed. Overclocking may need voltage tweaks. Would strongly recommend getting it stable at standard speed before even thinking about overclocking.

So it's just like you said in your pm, my processor is definitely overclocked then considering I have to make a voltage adjustment just to actually pass the tests.. Hmm.

Hulk_Tag.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users