Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 install error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Malavio

Malavio

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:33 AM

I have been trying to install the windows 10 tech preview as a dual boot with windows 8.1. I keep getting the same error message, there is not enough free space on the selected partition. I have raised the partition size to 256GB. Should that not be enough for the new OS to run well on?

I used to diskmgmt.msc function in windows 8 to make the new partition. I shrink my existing drive and simplify the drive before restarting and trying to install the tech preview. Am I doing something wrong in the process?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:35 AM

Hi Malavio :)

What kind of installation are you picking when installing Windows 10? "Upgrade" or "Custom"? You need to pick a "Custom" one, and then select the partition you created as the installation destination for Windows 10.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Malavio

Malavio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:43 AM

I am trying to do the custom install option and selecting the partition I created for the new os

Edited by Malavio, 08 May 2015 - 05:44 AM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:49 AM

How many partitions do you have on your drive right now? And what are they?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Malavio

Malavio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:03 AM

I have a 3.50 Mb and the 973 GB I can make another one very easily using the method I described above. So since the installs had failed  I extended the big partition back to absorb the one that I had attempted to use for the install. I can remake the partition of any size I need to do so.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:00 AM

How are you trying to install Windows 10? From a USB drive, a CD/DVD? How did you create that bootable DVD and/or USB?

unite_blue.png

#7 Malavio

Malavio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:03 PM

DVD I used IMGburn to burn an ISO

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:18 PM

Alright, create a new partition, but this time, right-click on it and select Mark as active. Once done, try to install Windows 10.

unite_blue.png

#9 Malavio

Malavio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:19 PM

Ok I will try that, thank you very much. I will update when I am able to try this

#10 Malavio

Malavio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:56 PM

It worked perfectly thank you very much. I went back and marked my main partition as the active and restarted after. It gave me a small issue where I needed to run a startup repair. I ran it from the windows 10 disk and it worked beautifully. I am now able to duel boot like a boss. Thank you again sir.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:56 PM

No problem Malavio, my pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users