Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7, Post reinstall problems?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 freddofrog

freddofrog

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:45 AM

I had a severe virus and had to reinstall Win 7 on my HP P6 computer.I used the ""system repair"" and it was more or less automatic but it didnt restore my system settings,music,photos,etc.. I was having problems with the moniter not turning back on after the computer shuts it down on idle,same again at startup,I have to press the power button to turn the computer off and reboot to get the moniter to switch on.I thought it was the monitor playing up so I recapped it and resoldered all the dodgy looking solder joints. I ended up plugging the cable into the VGA port on the computer and now its working OK like that.So could there must be something to do with the graphics card do you think because I had already downloaded and installed the latest AMD Catalyst 14.501.1003.0 driver? I just did a sfc/scannow and it says I have problems but I dont know how to go about fixing them because Im not very good at navigating around computers? The screenshot I took of the sfc scan is too big to upload but it says, Windows resouce protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details in CBS.LOG  windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log  Any idea how I can get to fix this because I cant even work out how to enter that to get to the log to find out whats wrong? LOL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:26 AM

Please post the sfc /scannow log.  If it is too large you can break it up into smaller parts and post these separately.

To access the log open the elevated command prompt.  This can be done by typing cmd in the Search programs and files box below the Start menu, the press Enter.

When the elevated command prompt opens copy and paste the command below.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to open the log, copy the log and paste it in your topic.

You posted that you had to reinstall the operating system, then you state that you did a system repair.  Please explain exactly what you did, and what order.

If you reinstalled the operating system it would involve formatting the hdd, this would have removed all of the operating system and any data, pictures, programs, ect. that were loaded after the operating system was initially installed.

Edited by dc3, 08 May 2015 - 08:30 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 freddofrog

freddofrog
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:08 AM

I tried it but the sfcdetails desktop file was blank?  The command prompt says findstr cannot open the log? My memory is not as good as it once was but Im sure that I used the repair disk that I had made earlier,I cant remember which repair option I clicked on but it wiped everything and reinstalled only some of my files? Maybe Ive still got the virus? Ive tried scanning with Malwarebytes but it didnt pick up anything?

Edited by freddofrog, 08 May 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:04 PM

If you used the repair disc you created when you first got this computer and did a System Image Recovery it would have taken the computer back to the condition the computer was in when the disc was created.  This is why you lost all the data, pictures, non-Microsoft programs, etc.

Let's try a different way to access the sfc log.

In the Start menu click on Computer, click on C:, then click on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.

The logs will have the date the scan was run, find the log for the date you ran the scan, click on this log to open it.  Copy and then paste this in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 freddofrog

freddofrog
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:50 PM

If you used the repair disc you created when you first got this computer and did a System Image Recovery it would have taken the computer back to the condition the computer was in when the disc was created.  This is why you lost all the data, pictures, non-Microsoft programs, etc.

Let's try a different way to access the sfc log.

In the Start menu click on Computer, click on C:, then click on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.

The logs will have the date the scan was run, find the log for the date you ran the scan, click on this log to open it.  Copy and then paste this in your topic.

One is a text file 2.3mb 8/05/2015 and the other is a CAB file 8/05/2015,12.4mb. I tried to open the text file but I got access denied? I right clicked around to find administrator but couldnt see anything? Even if I could copy it how would I break it up to send it?

Edited by freddofrog, 08 May 2015 - 01:53 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:02 PM

Copy and paste sections of the log.  If you leave the area you copied highlighted you can use that as a reference for where you left off.

#7 freddofrog

freddofrog
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:07 PM

Copy and paste sections of the log.  If you leave the area you copied highlighted you can use that as a reference for where you left off.

Oh, OK but how am I going to get access to the files and which one do I send?

#8 freddofrog

freddofrog
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:56 AM

My computer is acting up exacly the same as it did before I did the sytem repair? The virus is back changing my desktop icons and resisting anything I do to fix it like crashing Firefox when I try to reset it etc...Ive tried scanning with Malwarebytes but it doesnt pick up anything? I tried Kapersky 10 rescue disk but it couldnt connect to the internet even though Ive never had a problem with that? This virus seems to defeat any attempt to fix it and it keeps getting worse crashing Firefox etc...Is there something I can do to fix this once and for all? Ive been battleing  this  virus for months.Ive done a Combofix scan and heres the report?

Mod Edit:  Deleted ComboFix attachment, not allowed or used in this forum.  If you want to post a topic as a malware topic...the Win 7 forum is not the correct place.  Since you now refer to your situation as a malware situation...I suggest that you follow Steps 6-8 of Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html and also paste the contents of your ComboFix log into the topic (do not attach).  That topic should be posted/initiated in the same forum which contains the Prep Guide, do not post it here.  Thanks - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 09 May 2015 - 10:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users