Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Websites show blank pages erroneously

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 York81

York81

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:54 PM

Mystery: my primary computer (Windows 8) appears to access 3 particular websites, but displays the content as blank pages

All 3 websites display content properly on my other home computer (Windows 7). Both computers access internet through my cable internet connection.

My primary computer accesses & displays all other websites properly (of dozens that I've checked).

The blank page problem occurs on primary computer using any of the 3 web browsers that I used.

The 3 problem websites display properly on my primary computer IF connecting via a proxy server, using program CyberGhost.

I thought maybe my firewall program is erroneously blocking content from the 3 problem websites. However, I've reviewed the firewall parameters & they don't exclude those websites. Also, I think the firewall would not display a blank page if you tried to go to a blocked URL. Instead, I think it would give you a message "access to this website is blocked" or similar.

I should mention that there is no reason for any of the websites to block me. I last posted (routine post, nothing controversial) on one of the 3 websites over 7 years ago & have had regular access to their content since then until about 2 days ago. I've never posted on the other two websites.

Of course, if I suddenly became persona non grata at a website, it would block my access with some message and not simply display a blank page.

Any ideas on what could cause this & how it can be fixed would be gratefully appreciated.

==========

Life is short, be nice to people.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:15 PM

Have you already tried power cycling your cable modem and/or router and restarting your computer?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

...along with reloading said web site?  I've often solved blank pages by reloading.  If reloading does not work, I have restarted Firefox, after saving that particular session via session manager.

Addendum:  Earlier, I forgot to mention that I do this reloading and restarting also with Google Chrome and IE.

Edited by RolandJS, 09 May 2015 - 10:27 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 York81

York81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

Have you already tried power cycling your cable modem and/or router and restarting your computer?

Z, thanks for your kind reply.

I have restarted my computer numerous times, but have not restarted modem or router. Will try restarting both when my wife is not online, needing the connection. Still, it would seem unlikely that, if the problem was in the modem and/or router as it only affects my primary computer, not my secondary computer?

#5 York81

York81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:46 PM

...along with reloading said web site?  I've often solved blank pages by reloading.  If reloading does not work, I have restarted Firefox, after saving that particular session via session manager.

Roland, thanks for your kind reply.

I have reloaded the websites and restarted browsers (Pale Moon, Firefox, Avant) numerous times. Since the blank page problem occurs on any of the 3 websites using any of the 3 browsers, even after numerous morning restarts of computer after off overnight, I don't know that session manager would help? Do you still think session manager should be tried? If so, I'll have to figure what it is and how to use it?

#6 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

Still, it would seem unlikely that, if the problem was in the modem and/or router as it only affects my primary computer, not my secondary computer?

It wouldn't be the first time  :lol:

#7 York81

York81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:51 PM

Still, it would seem unlikely that, if the problem was in the modem and/or router as it only affects my primary computer, not my secondary computer?

It wouldn't be the first time  :lol:

When I was sure my wife was off her computer and iPad, I turned off the modem and the router for about 4 minutes. Turned them back on. No change in the erroneous blank page display on the particular 3 websites.

#8 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:16 AM

Ok. Since the problem is the same with multiple web browsers we know it is something deeper than browser settings.

What antivirus/firewall etc do you have?

#9 York81

York81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:26 PM

Ok. Since the problem is the same with multiple web browsers we know it is something deeper than browser settings.

What antivirus/firewall etc do you have?

ESET Smart Security 8 includes firewall. Also, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Premium.

#10 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

Do you experience the same problem in safe mode with networking?

Follow eset solution 2268 for instructions to boot windows 8 in safe mode with networking.

#11 York81

York81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:17 PM

Do you experience the same problem in safe mode with networking?

Follow eset solution 2268 for instructions to boot windows 8 in safe mode with networking.

I never got around to trying your proposed solution as the problem was gone when I checked today. (I had been delaying more time-intensive techniques while a relative was visiting.)

Remains a mystery, but I'm guessing that the now-gone problem might have been some anomaly caused by Glary Utilities Pro. I happened to update Glary yesterday & checked this morning to find no blank page problem anymore.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

#12 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the update :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users