Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AntiAdware blocks crapware bundled with downloads

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

I saw this on Lifehacker today and I thought AntiAdware could be very useful to everyone here at BC. Check out the link.

http://lifehacker.com/antiadware-gets-rid-of-bundled-crapware-on-popular-down-1702818594?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_twitter&utm_source=lifehacker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:04 PM

This first word that caught my attention in this article sadly.

QiDTmlw.png

Also, I have TamperMonkey installed and I know it quite well, I could give it a try.

Edited by Aura., 07 May 2015 - 06:04 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

AntiAdware is a greasemonkey script, so you’ll need Greasemonkey for Firefox or Tampermonkey for Chrome to install it (you can install it manually in Chrome as well, but it won’t receive updates). AntiAdware blocks adware on nearly 40 sites, including Sourceforge, Softonic, Adobe.com, CNET, and a number of file hosting services like Filefactory.

Note that AntiAdware won’t block crapware that’s normally built into a given app’s installer, but it will block crapware that download sites add.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:50 PM

Looks like the blocking on "Download CNET" is work in progress from my understanding. This would be one site to put a priority on.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Wh0

Wh0

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:07 AM

as mentioned in the comments section ninite is a great source for mostly clean downloads

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:04 PM

These are popular and generally safe third-party download hosting sites for software:
* MajorGeeks
* SnapFiles
* Softpedia
* TechSpot
* FilePuma
* Gizmos Freeware
* BleepingComputer Downloads
* Ninite

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

Another general tip when downloading programs (or any files at all for that matter), run an adblocker and a script blocker in your browser. This will ensure that fake download buttons are (in most cases) unable to load. Fake download buttons are a disgusting and shameful practice whereby a download page is covered in adverts posing as being download links, usually these adverts are designed to get people's attention and make them think that the ad is the download link for the program on the page. The real downlaod link might be hidden next to one of the fake ones, hovering over fake ones usually shows them going off the site which you are browsing while real download links are usually coming from the site you are browsing. The fake download links will usually lead to adware, certainly not to anything even remotely related to the program or file you want to download. An ad blocker and a script blocker make it very unlikely that fake download links will display.

Anothet tip is once you have downloaded a clean and workable installer for a program you like, put a backup of that installer exe file on a usb or cd or dvd. That way you will nevr need visit a download site again if you want to put the same program on another computer, or uninstall then reinstall the program for some reason. If a program is one that needs updating then after installing from the installer exe file you should be able to find an updating option within the program so that updates can be done without having to visit the download site again.

Edited by rp88, 08 May 2015 - 01:25 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:50 PM

Anothet tip is once you have downloaded a clean and workable installer for a program you like, put a backup of that installer exe file on a usb or cd or dvd. That way you will nevr need visit a download site again if you want to put the same program on another computer, or uninstall then reinstall the program for some reason. If a program is one that needs updating then after installing from the installer exe file you should be able to find an updating option within the program so that updates can be done without having to visit the download site again.

That is what I do for all my programs. However, I regularly check them all for updates (at COU and MajorGeeks) and many require redownloading the updated version. If you only update the installed program...then your backups can quickly become outdated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users