Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FixMeStick vs HitmanPro Kickstart

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:50 PM

I recently discovered FixMeStick. And I'm wondering how it compares to HitmanPro Kickstart and other similar products?

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Edited by hamluis, 08 May 2015 - 07:07 AM.
Moved from Gen Chat to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:16 AM

Hi there,

HitmanPro.Kickstart is developed mainly to combat screenlocker ransomware that prevents you from accessing your computer (i.e. Reveton).

Comparing to what I read about FixMeStick, it appears that FMS has more uses (since apparently it can even be used on unbootable devices) - but FMS looks more like a multi-engine rescue CD to me.

Just my two cents :)

Regards,
Alex

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:18 AM

FixMeStick is a bootable USB drive that runs before your computer boots so that it can remove malware from outside the Windows (or MacOS) environment and within a Linux-based environment. The FixMeStick's multi-scanner uses scanning engines from three anti-virus companies: Kaspersky, Avira, and Sophos, and accesses an additional set of anti-virus scanners online via OPSWATs Metadefender.FixMeStick is available for purchase from the vendor's website, Amazon.com, and retail stores such as Walmart, Best Buy, Office Depot, and Frys. However, there are many free LiveCD/Rescue CD utilities which can do essentially the same thing for people who prefer to build versus buy.

There is a discussion in this topic where coreyvelan, Authorized FixMeStick Rep provides additional information and indicated he is available to answer any questions or concerns about the product. FixMeStick-Support is also an Authorized FixMeStick Rep who visits the Bleeping Computer forums and participates in related discussions.

06/22/17 Mod Edit by quietman7 to include updated information.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:18 AM

FixMeStick is a bootable USB drive that runs before your computer boots so that it can remove malware from outside the Windows (or MacOS) environment and within a Linux-based environment. The FixMeStick's multi-scanner uses scanning engines from three anti-virus companies: Kaspersky, Avira, and Sophos, and accesses an additional set of anti-virus scanners online via OPSWATs Metadefender.

FixMeStick is available for purchase from the vendor's website, Amazon.com, and retail stores such as Walmart, Best Buy, Office Depot, and Frys. However, there are many free LiveCD/Rescue CD utilities which can do essentially the same thing for people who prefer to build versus buy.

There is a discussion in this topic where coreyvelan, Authorized FixMeStick Rep provides additional information and indicated he is available to answer any questions or concerns about the product. FixMeStick-Support is also an Authorized FixMeStick Rep who visits the Bleeping Computer forums and participates in related discussions.

Thanks it's to bad that it doesn't have the ability to disinfect files and I also wish it supported Linux to.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:40 PM

I look at it as with the availability of so many free LiveCD/Rescue CD utilities why spend your money but for others, it may be a solution they are looking for.

#6 FixMeStick Support

FixMeStick Support

Authorized FixMeStick Rep

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hey everybody. I just wanted to clarify that FixMeStick does disinfect files and it does work on Linux. The pros and cons from the PCMag review cited above was from the 2012 review. PCMag did a 2013 review and at that time FixMeStick was able to disinfect files and work on Linux. We also continually update the FixMeStick, so it works even better now than it did two years ago, let alone three years ago.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:22 PM

FixMeStick does disinfect files

I'm sure it did from Day 1 didn't it? I recall seeing your presentation on Dragon's Den (which was excellent by the way), and in one of the picture (or was it some interactive video/gif), you could see infected files passing throught the FixMeStick, and then getting out disinfected.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

FixMeStick Customer Reviews at Amazon.com include numerous positive reviews.

#9 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:28 PM

Seen these guys on Dragons Den too, this is the first time I've seen it mentioned anywhere since, at least in the forums I frequent. So not sold on it yet. I wouldn't put much stock in the Amazon's reviews, maybe for a vacuum or lawnmower but I would wager most people on Amazon have no clue how to protect their computer. Anyways, hope I'm being too skeptical and that these guys are the next wave in malware repair.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:59 AM

We had a previous topic here last summer where coreyvelan, another Authorized FixMeStick Rep, replied.

#11 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:36 AM

Hey everybody. I just wanted to clarify that FixMeStick does disinfect files and it does work on Linux. The pros and cons from the PCMag review cited above was from the 2012 review. PCMag did a 2013 review and at that time FixMeStick was able to disinfect files and work on Linux. We also continually update the FixMeStick, so it works even better now than it did two years ago, let alone three years ago.

If what your saying is true thats great that makes it more worth the money. :thumbup2:

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:45 PM

If what your saying is true thats great that makes it more worth the money. :thumbup2:

There is no reason to believe an Authorized Rep would not be telling the truth.

#13 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

There is no reason to believe an Authorized Rep would not be telling the truth.

It's not if there telling the truth but it's because I recently spoke with a representative over the phone and they told me that it doesn't work for Linux. So that conflicted with what I was told over the phone.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:59 AM

Will FixMeStick be able to clean a system infected with a file injector virus, such as Sality or ViruT?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:55 PM

I do not know of any security vendor who will guarantee complete removal of file infectors since they cannot ensure that some files will not get corrupted during the disinfection process. This means that infected executables and system files can become unusable after attempting to repair them which then may affect the stability of the computer or worst, keep it from booting properly. If the computer is able to boot afterward, there is still no guarantee the virus is really gone. Since many of the affected files are legitimate critical files required by the operating system, deletion is not a viable option. Many anti-virus vendors even admit that some malicious programs like file infectors cannot be properly disinfected by their products.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users