Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer old bloated and flat woreout

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dumafach

dumafach

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:33 PM

I have HP Media computer with windows Vista 64bit. My home page (which is yahoo/att) keeps telling me I need to update my browser. I have IE9 and can not update to IE11. I have a 750MB HD with a 1TB backup drive. I can not stay online. I will loose my connection and then I have to shut down and restart. I do not know if it is my router or my computer that keeps me loosing my internet. I did not know what forum to start this but I need help with several issues. I hope someone on here can help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:33 PM

First of all, the easiest way to employ a 'more modern' browser is to make the change to a different one. Firefox and Chrome are the obvious choices with Safari and several others as well. My personal preference is for Firefox but the best thing to do is to download one or two and see how you like them - they are all free downloads.

With regards to your connection problem you do not give us a great deal of information - whether you use wi-fi or ethernet, what sort of internet service you have and so on. So, starting from your computer.

Check that your computer is running the latest network drivers for your OS for whatever system of connection you are using - wi-fi or ethernet. Then consider any cables in your connection. If any are showing signs of wear or damage, replace them as well as any seriously old ADSL filters if that is the connection you are using.

The fact that you say you have to shut down and re-boot suggests it is a computer problem. So check the drivers and, if it is a discrete component (ie not part of the motherboard) try a different connection card. Alternatively, try a different computer and see if that has problems. If all else fails, invite a friend round with his/her laptop and try that.

If your friend has problems connecting, or staying connected, remember that your ISP owns the longest part of your connection. Telephone wires are known to develop faults, router/modems can fail. Then have a word with your ISP.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

Hello Chris Cosgrove.

I started filling this out last night and we had a storm come through and I lost everything. I had a lot typed up. I will try to retype this under 2 days.

You are right, I think this is a computer problem. I use AT&T U-verse with a wireless modem. When the computer looses the connection my phone and Ipad still have access. For over a year AT&T worked on my connection problem. The problem is intermittent and hard to find. They finally told me the best they could do is 90% connection. I have gone through 2 modems, at first they work great and then after awhile they get worse.

Now the computer. This computer is 6 years old. I have a quad core cpu, 750GB HDD and 5GB memory. It has a slot in the front for a back up drive. I bought the 1TB HD and started backing up.I have songs and pictures that are saved and used in several different spots. I would like to get rid of a lot of this stuff on here but, I do not know how to start. I think I should make sure it is clean before I start. I had somebody try to takeover my computer and I don't know how much bad stuff is on here. I have came here before to get help cleaning up this computer and they were great. That is why I did not know where to start this topic. Any help or directions would be greatly appreciated 

I know there is probably a lot more you need to know, just let me know what you need. Thank you for your response.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:38 PM

I agree, it is always a good idea to make sure your computer is clean before you start trying to solve other problems. In view of your remarks about having a lot of stuff on here a good starting point would be to download and install Piriform's Ccleaner, an excellent little utility for removing temporary files. It's a free download and you can get it from BC here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/ccleaner/

Just one word of advice. Ccleaner contains a registry 'cleaner' as one of its sections. Do NOT use this part of it.

As you have been though the getting rid of malware process, can I assume that you have up to date antivirus on your computer ?  If you do, run a full system scan and see if that shows up any problems. If it does, let the AV deal with them.

As far as back-ups go, what matters is you back-up your own work - photos, music, documents, etc.. This is the stuff that you cannot replace if a hard drive decides to die on you. Since I keep my own work in a folder called 'Workfile', my photos in a folder called 'Photos' and my music in a folder called 'Music' as opposed to using the Windows defaults this makes doing back-ups fairly simple and I just use Windows Explorer and 'drag and drop' to do back-ups.

Once you have backed up stuff to your external drive you can then delete it from you internal drive to create space on that. This then leaves you with only one copy - on your external drive - which for safety should be backed up to another drive. External hard drives can fail and only one copy of anything in existence is not a back up..

Run Ccleaner and see how much junk it gets rid of, do an AV scan, and let us know how you get on. Once your computer itself is running better it will then be time to start a new topic in the 'Networking' section of BC so the people there can give advice on your connection problems.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:59 PM

Another good way to backup files is a USB Thumb Drive. I used one to save important files and photos off my windows vista pc before I bought a Windows 8.1 computer in 2014.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users