Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Microsoft is calling Windows 10 'the last version of Windows'

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:48 PM

"Right now we’re releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we’re all still working on Windows 10." That was the message from Microsoft employee Jerry Nixon, a developer evangelist speaking at the company's Ignite conference this week. Nixon was explaining how Microsoft was launching Windows 8.1 last year, but in the background it was developing Windows 10. Now, Microsoft employees can talk freely about future updates to Windows 10 because there's no secret update in the works coming next. It's all just Windows 10. While it immediately sounds like Microsoft is killing off Windows and not doing future versions, the reality is a little more complex. The future is "Windows as a service."

Article

I wonder how all this is going to play out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

"So what are you guys running at your job?"
"The usual, WaaS."
"WaaS?"
"Yeah, WaaS. Windows as a Service."

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 pohand

pohand

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:50 AM

Cloud is future. Maybe, in the future, Windows will be similar to ChromeOS

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:18 AM

Except that you cannot always be online, so that's one huge downside.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 howtoconnect

howtoconnect

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:46 AM

The Tech giant will maintain the OS by pushing updates time to time.

Edited by howtoconnect, 08 May 2015 - 11:46 AM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

So basically, it'll keep on doing what it's been doing since "forever" with Windows.

unite_blue.png

#7 howtoconnect

howtoconnect

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:31 PM

Yes, off course. They are speaking clearly.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:32 PM

They are already doing the same thing with their Office 365 product now.

http://products.office.com/en-us/compare-microsoft-office-products

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:37 PM

Well at least you can have a non-subscription based solution for Office, like Office 2013 and maybe the future Office 2016. But if they really make it happen for Windows 10, I don't know if they'll offer a non-subscription based solution.

unite_blue.png

#10 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:25 PM

I have asked "why" in the other place and here's the answer..

"Because the days of a hardware>fat OS>application stack are coming to an end. Virtualization and containerization are making the "traditional" operating system less relevant. It's happening with VMware Horizon View (or whatever they're calling it this week), Citrix Xen, Remote Desktop, thin/zero clients - the idea of a full-blown client operating is being sidelined. They'll still be Windows as an operating system, but there's some big changes that mean MS are looking to be able to update/improve the OS on a rolling basis, rather than occasional big releases. That's whay it doesn't really matter (with a few caveats) what gets RTM'd in the next few months (if the rumoured timescales are to be believed), the OS will receive constant updates once it's out the door. The traditional release/update model is being ditched. But a lot of people, even "expert" tech journalists, can't seem to fathom this change."

#11 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:25 AM

To answer the Thread Title...  Because it is.  Going forward Win10 will receive Updates and WE will not receive new OS versions.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

#12 Ewol

Ewol

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

They also said it might just be called ''Windows'' without numbering or 10, if the plans to make it a service come off the ground. Then you need subscription to ''windows'' and all updates get pushed, I think they make its framework very compatible so they can theoretically do complete overhauls using updates without the need of an new OS..

#13 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:03 PM

Ewol,

Again, I will try to clarify...

We need to stop switching the word Service to subscription... 2 very different things.  Yes, the # suffix could be dropped since there will not be more Windows OS versions going forward.  Just 10's Updates... remember, one does not pay for Updates... ergo, once one owns Win10... it's bought & it updates, end of story; no on-going fee for the Service of receiving its Updates.  There are 3 branches for that & here is the breakdown regarding 'delivery':

Captures_zpspqb3h6gl.jpg
Capture_zpstp9zl5h1.jpg
Cheers,
Drew

Edited by Drew1903, 17 May 2015 - 03:03 PM.

#14 Ewol

Ewol

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:14 PM

Ewol,

Again, I will try to clarify...

I never indicated it was needed to clarify, was just saying Gabe also mentioned the OS number might be excluded. 

#15 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:40 PM

OK, fair enough, sorry if I read in something I should not have.  It's just I see so many saying "subscription" & meaning (thinking) of a constant fee for that... to continue using the OS & receive its Updates, the Service.  Yes, it was thought back last year that might happen, just "Windows".  Whether it, still, comes to that rather than keeping the 10, maybe, haven't heard more or anything definitive on that score, @ this point.

Cheers,

Drew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users