Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on my home network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Abama

Abama

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

I am learning networking and I am looking to build a home lab.

I have a regular home network using DLink DIR655 for WLAN, I also have a WLAN extender using it as an AP, from there I have a cisco SD2005

Now, I am looking to add Cisco PIX 501 as firewall I guess (I have no idea) and I also wanted to create a VPN. Out of the switch for my lab I have a desktop and a desktop server connected and from the WLAN I have 2 laptops, 2 cellphones, a wireless printer and a chromecast for streaming.

I need the printer to be accessible from all the devices on the network.

As ISP I use Comcast.

Edited by Abama, 07 May 2015 - 03:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

I'm not sure what the question is but here's the thing, a lab that is the way you connect to the internet is not the best idea. You break it and have no idea how to fix it, you'll have to tear it apart or at least bypass all security you implemented to get on the net to figure it out. I am not saying don't but I wouldn't.

I have GNS3 and Packet Tracer to do all sorts of networking lab stuff. GNS3 will connect to your home network and out to the net. And you can use Virtual Box VMs inside it so you can run a VM server inside and use real OS's to configure it all. You need a rather robust PC to do this tho.

Packet Tracer is a self contained program with all the IOS stuff already in there. Unlike GNS which you need to "find" the IOSes. It comes with the latest IOS. Also you can do a CO with a cell tower if you want to mess with that, it's crazy. But you can't connect it to your home network or the internet.

What are you trying to do? What part of networking are you studying?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:50 PM

Dont get a pix 501 unless its really cheap. The pix software is very outdated, The Asa 5505 is newer model that supports the latest Asa firmware.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users