Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting Win 7 from Samsung PM830 32GB SSD HDD Mini PCIe. Anyone try this?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chrisarnt

chrisarnt

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:58 PM

I'm trying to make a system that will work well under high temp conditions. 

But they need 1T storage. SSD is out the budget. 

I decided on a  1 TB Hitachi 5400RPm

But I know it will be slow and still might over heat. 

I see this Samsung PM830 32GB SSD HDD Mini PCIe on amazon for like $25. 

The system is a Dell Latitude E6400 with a T9900 processor. So, it's more of a workhorse than a race car. 

I was thinking of installing Win7 64bit, outlook and another software that requires another 2.2 gb on the SSD and using the 1Tb for everything else. 

I havent done this before. So, what am I overlooking? 

Would using a 32GB mini-pci SSD for the OS keep this cooler?

Edited by chrisarnt, 07 May 2015 - 02:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

Honestly I don't see the point in such a smal SSD.  It would just add to the heat.  If your concerned about excessive heat on the HD they do make hard drive coolers you can install.

#3 chrisarnt

chrisarnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:27 PM

Thank you.

The point would be to reduce the movement of the hard drive and thus heat. But, I'm not an expert and I'm just bouncing this off you guys to decide whether to do it.

But, frankly since the intended user is not tech savvy it would probably just cause much confusion and delay as programs would keep trying to install on that drive.

This is on a laptop.  A dell Latitude E6400.

Can you put a hard drive cooler on that?   What is it called.

I bought a laptop cooler.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:33 PM

I think a laptop cooler would suffice as there are no aftermarket HDD coolers small enough (currently) to fit inside a laptop enclosure.

#5 chrisarnt

chrisarnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:36 PM

This is going to be used in Mumbai.  I was thinking of redoing the thermal paste on the CPU and the video card.

I know it helped with overheating on my same make and model computer.  The CPU usage would go up to 100% and I had to reboot. Hot air from fan. Redid the thermal paste and it fixed it.

I just want to get this person able to work and not have to worry about the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users