Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for advice for home network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ravenous33

Ravenous33

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:45 PM

Recommendations on gear or flaws in my setup??

So long story short, with my job I had to move a lot and had small apartments. When I bought a house a few years ago and settled in, I went with ATT who gave me a very hard time about using my own gear. Well after nearly 3 years of issues after issues I am fed up and switching to a different ISP and as such doing a proper home network.

A little bit about the needs of the setup.
My needs - I am on call 24/7 and have to connect my work laptop through a VPN to access anything for work. Write and run a lot of AD HOC reporting which does not require a lot of bandwidth, however I also log into numerous IP CCTV units and stream/download video to validate the data from numerous different CCTV brands/types/compressions

I do not do a lot of online gaming but I hate waiting 5 hours for a 19 gig game to download haha. Every now and again the mood strikes and I do some flight sims, Arma3 and games like Gal Civ3... I do a lot of streaming - netflix, youtube, pandora, hbo go and the such.

Wife on the other hand went back to college, she does play an MMO and if often streaming audio/video in her office while she works.

Often have people over on the weekends for board gaming and a few times a year for a small lan party

Future Layout?
Modem?(more then likely having to go with Cox/Comcast DOCIS 3.0 capable of at least 150 down)
Router? (needs primary and guest networks - able to handle heavy streaming)
Main Switch(unmanaged is done) (16 Port) -
My Office - Personal PC (Wired), Work Docking Station (Wired), TV(will be wireless? might wire it), Printer(Wireless), NAS (Wired)
Wifes Office - Personal PC (Wired) , TV (will leave that wireless)
Man Cave - TV(Wireless), 6 ports for lan parties
Then One line ran to the living room into a 5 port switch located on TV stand - TV (wireless off, not wired), Xbox360 (Wireless - the nic died on it), BluRay (wired - main living room streaming device), Dish Box (Wired), Extra Line (for laptop for Steam sharing or if I choose to work in the living room on the weekend)

2 laptops in total wireless (wifes and my work)
2 cell phones on wireless
Again we often have friends over for an afternoon and others that come to visit.

So that is the needs of the network, I know what I need it to do but I am very behind on the times when it comes to current tech and what will meet my needs the best...

Thank you all for your time and advice, I look forward to seeing the feedback given.

**Adding house info**
Roughly 1,064 sqft main floor
House is a single story with basement (man cave and my office is in the basement)

TLDR - Need help picking gear for a home network- Modem/Router/Switch/Second switch in living room?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

Do you know which ISP you are going with?

If you are buying all new and you can afford it I would go with an AC router with gigbit ports and gigbit switches. I am not one to recommend equipment that I don't personally have any experience with, but if you stick with popular brands you'll be fine.

WiFi coverage is one of those things that is difficult to say with any certainty without being there. But if you locate the equipment centrally, I think any new AC router will cover your home easily and if needed you could add an access point easily.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users