Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard or CPU?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BFbunny

BFbunny

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:12 AM

Greetings.

As per the title 'How do I know if the CPU or Motherboard is broken?' - I think it's the motherboard, but before I put my CPU for sale I hope you guys can help me confirm or do tests to make sure. It could even be the graphics card or RAM.

The Computers spec with rough ages:

motherboard -   asus m4a79xtd evo - 4 years old

graphics -          asus gtx 760 direct cu 2 - 1 year old

Processor  -      amd Phenom x4 965 be [currently not overclocked] - 4 years old

Power Supply - corsair builder series 750 watt - 1 year old

ram -                 Kingston hyper x ddr3. 1x 2GB 4 year old, 1x 2GB 3 year old, 1 x 4GB 2 years old.

SSD -                intel - 1 years old

case -                cooler master elite 334u - 2 years old.

OS -                  Windows 8 dev preview, but I was having the same problems in Windows 7 home premium

The Computers Problems

Any wireless adapter causes the PC to randomly crash / BSOD (Memory management) A recent internal (TP link) adapter even re-set the bios, but seemed OK until gaming.

While playing the game DCS world flying game it at random BSODs either after 10 minutes or 1 hour

BF2 it seemed not to have a problem with and I've not had a chance to try IL2 - battle of Stalingrad game. [both running off the SSD]

It got to where it refused to show the screen, but you could still hear it loading or would not turn on for a few seconds.

My limited testing

I thought GPU / CPU overheating, but I've checked for dust and put it by an open window.

I thought a RAM stick had broken as BSOD mentioned memory management.  I have a slightly different mix of RAM that's been fine for a couple of years. Tried each stick on it's own and in different slots. The original identical 2 sticks I put in dual channel mode and the computer crashed. I tried each stick with the 3rd ram stick and the computer worked fine. I then put them all back into the original stots and it was fine for a while.

Thoughts

I assumed it's the motherboard because the wireless problem.

But could the SSD be at fault. I've not had a chance to test this.

Thanks

Any help is good help. Unfortunately I can't do a whole lot of testing on it right now as I'm moving house soon and it's all packed away.

Edited by BFbunny, 07 May 2015 - 11:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:51 PM

I had some wacky problems with my old PC, and later found out it was the PSU's fault. 

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:22 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#4 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:10 PM

My limited testing

I thought GPU / CPU overheating, but I've checked for dust and put it by an open window.

I thought a RAM stick had broken as BSOD mentioned memory management.  I have a slightly different mix of RAM that's been fine for a couple of years. Tried each stick on it's own and in different slots. The original identical 2 sticks I put in dual channel mode and the computer crashed.

I assumed it's the motherboard because the wireless problem.

But could the SSD be at fault. I've not had a chance to test this.

Check for dust is not a proper way to check if your CPU/GPU is overheating, the proper way to check your CPU and GPU temperature is software temperature monitoring. I recommend CPUID HWMonitor from this site, http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html. This software will shows your CPU and GPU temperature and your hard drives temperature as well. You also mentioned that you though your RAM stick is broken, do you see any bend or any sign of broken on your RAM stick? If not, i recommend you run a stress test of MEMTest 86 to see if your RAM is stable. Second, SSD have nothing to the wireless because SSD is just a drive were wireless is a hardware that attached to your motherboard, so my bet is either the driver issue or something is corrupted. Matter of fact, i recommend you follow Hamluis instructions to see if this is a hardware issue or software issue. 

#5 BFbunny

BFbunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

Hi Guys.

Sorry that I forgot about this post. It's been hectic!

I ended up selling the computer as parts and threw away the motherboard. The 965BE was getting long in the tooth anyway. It's been a few weeks and no complaints from the buyers of any of the parts. I still have the power supply as postage was ridiculous so there is a chance it could be at fault. 

I'm pretty sure it was the motherboard especially since Windows was pretty much a fresh install and that configuration had been working fine for years.

The SSD has run in my laptop since with no computer crashes.

IT is my day job, but this particular failure certainly threw up some quirky issues. I guess I'll never know for sure if the motherboard was broken.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users