Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apps: Launchy, Revo Uninstaller, Auto Hot key

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:39 AM

Now that I have my tower built and newlatop I'd like to load it with some useful programs.

I did a few searches and came across this.    http://lifehacker.com/lifehacker-pack-for-windows-our-list-of-the-best-windo-787533613

After reading the description of the Apps.  Launchy, Revo Uninstaller and Auto Hot Key sound like they'd be useful.

Does anyone have any experiance with these?  Do they do what they advertise to do?  Do they have any bloatware or slow down your system?

I have an 850 PRO SSD in each PC. So I'm wondering if Launchy will do much?

Thanks everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:49 AM

Personally, I'm using Revo Uninstaller Pro and it works great. So yes, it's a good program to have installed (or not even installed, you could use their portable version of it) when you want to uninstall a program and make sure it leaves nothing behind.

Ninite is also recommended if you want to install a bunch of programs, without having the download them all individually. It doesn't come with any bloatware or PUPs, so that's a plus.

I never heard of Launchy, and after reading its description, it doesn't look that much useful.

As for AutoHeykey, if you don't know AutoHotkey script and how to write down your own macros, it's pratically useless. I have a friend who coded his own custom "personal assistant" that is around 15,000 lines long, but he wrote it himself.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:04 AM

I have been using Revo for years. I prefer it over the built in Windows uninstaller.

A couple of points about Revo:

1) Use Advanced for uninstall mode.
2) If told you need to reboot after uninstall, say no. Continue with the process to find leftovers.
Sometimes files will not delete and you will be told they will delete with a reboot so go ahead and do that.
3) It has an auto run manager under Tools, which I also use.

Another excellent program is Everything Search. It's more thorough than Windows search. If you want to try it you can download from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/everything-desktop-search/

After I use Revo, I often use Everything Search to look for anything related to the program I just uninstalled.
Right clicking on a result will bring up a menu with various options. You can use those options to view any folders/files it finds and then decide if you want to delete them.

edit to add: If using Everything Search, let it populate after opening then enter your search term.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 May 2015 - 09:19 AM.

#4 frldyz

frldyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:18 AM

Aura: I found these 3 programs along with a bunch other from the link. NINITE . I don't see a need to download the entire thing as a lot of those apps will not pertain to me.

Auto Hot Key: so it sounds like a complicated program suited for more advanced users? Maybe I understand it wrong? I thought it just created shortcuts for your computer. For example I could program the 1 key to load Google. So instead of opening browser and selecting Google, I could just push the 1 key. Am I wrong?

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:21 AM

No, it's possible. However, you need to find the script that will allow you to do that, or code it yourself. AutoHotkey isn't a standard program, you have to code the scripts that it'll use, or download them from other users.

You don't have to download the whole programs offered on Ninite, just the ones you need. And you don't have to use it, you can download them from their official websites if you wish.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 frldyz

frldyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

Sounds like autohotkey is beyond my skill level

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

Well they have a forum where users post their scripts for everyones to use if you want.

http://www.autohotkey.com/board/forum/49-scripts-and-functions/

But unless you are some poweruser, you don't really need AutoHotkey.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users