Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failure to Boot/Bad Driver on Fresh Install/New HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Thestrel

Thestrel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:25 AM

I needed to replace the HDD in my Alienware laptop (got a different brand but same size and speed drive as I was replacing).  Did a fresh install of Win7 Home Premium x64 and everything went well.  Installed drivers via the Resource disk included with the computer and following protocol on one of the Alienware forums.  I also ran Windows Update. Since then, I have been unable to boot Windows sometimes.  It will come up with the black screen and say "Starting Windows" but the logo never appears.  Hard shutdown and restart and I will get the startup utility.  Sometimes that will run, sometimes not.  But usually on the 3rd try the computer will boot as normal and the computer works fine.  I have run ePSA, SeaTools and CheckDisk and all is fine there.  One time I got Startup Repair to run, I got the following:

Problem signature: Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline 
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385 
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown 
Problem Signature 04: 2
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover 
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: Bad driver 

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1 

Yesterday I did a refresh of Windows using the Windows 7 disk, however it did not fix the issue.  It did do a repair on the .net framework at the end of the refresh.  Once the laptop is booted up, it can be restarted at will without failing to load Windows, it's only after it has sat for a bit that it will fail to start windows.  

Is there anything I can do (besides a reformat and reinstall) that could possibly resolve the issue?  If I do have to reinstall, is it better to let Windows install the drivers and then update via Dell's site or install via the downloads on the site?

Edited by Thestrel, 07 May 2015 - 07:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:18 AM

If it's a laptop. there should be some sort of (all or nothing) reset-to-factory-defaults mechanism.  I don't believe this mechanism allows for anything other than total restoration of the system to initial operating status...but I don't know anything about OEM (Dell, HP, etc.) systems.

I have no idea what you did when you say that you did a "refresh" of Windows or what the disks you received with said laptop actually are intended for..;but that information should be obtainable either in your system documentation or by contacting Alienware/Dell.

Can you boot into safe mode?

Specific system model?

Louis

#3 Thestrel

Thestrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

If it's a laptop. there should be some sort of (all or nothing) reset-to-factory-defaults mechanism.  I don't believe this mechanism allows for anything other than total restoration of the system to initial operating status...but I don't know anything about OEM (Dell, HP, etc.) systems.

I have no idea what you did when you say that you did a "refresh" of Windows or what the disks you received with said laptop actually are intended for..;but that information should be obtainable either in your system documentation or by contacting Alienware/Dell.

Can you boot into safe mode?

Specific system model?

Louis

I don't believe that I have the option to restore to factory as I believe that partition would be on the old (dead) drive, though I may be wrong.  It is an Alienware M14X R1.  I guess maybe I phrased it wrong and used the Windows 7 ISO I have to reinstall windows (the reinstall that preserves all programs and stuff).  The only disk I actually received with the laptop is a resource dvd that contains the original drivers as well as alienware Command Center (which controls the backlights for the keyboard/touchpad/speakers).  

I can boot into safe mode and I can also boot into normal mode, it just takes a few tries to get it to boot.

There is nothing of value on the computer, as I use it strictly for gaming and surfing, so that really isn't my concern.  I just would rather fix the issue (if possible) rather than wiping because some of my programs take awhile to download and I just did it a couple weeks ago.  :)

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:04 PM

Correct you do not have the option anymore, possibly Alienware can provide what you need.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Thestrel

Thestrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:52 PM

Correct you do not have the option anymore, possibly Alienware can provide what you need.

The laptop is long out of warranty so I'm not sure that they would help me without charging me a hefty fee.  

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:30 PM

In any case...system problems...a short time after a clean install...is indicative of a problem with the media used or the hardware or some really stubborn malware, IMO.

Beyond that...I don't see any data pointing in which direction you should go.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users