Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to filter out IP addresses with hardware..?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kingneil

kingneil

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:39 AM

I am looking to filter out IP addresses using hardware external to the computer itself.

I have decided that using Windows' system for filtering IPs/hosts is no good, because if someone hacked the computer itself, then they could just alter all of that anyway.

So it needs to be some external device, that can't be hacked.

The thing is, I am in a place where other people use the same router as me. So, using any built-in IP address filtering on the router is no good.

It needs to be some kind of hardware device that is placed between my computer, and the router.

It would have the ability to

1. Filter out all IP addresses except certain ones

2. Or, just filter out certain IP addresses

What is your recommendation for this...?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:22 AM

Hi,
You may use another hardware switch/router or dedicated firewall for it.
You cannot get an unhackable device for some reason because security is not a simple thing now a days. Using proper security practices and a good AV suite can prevent such incidents and losing your private data, to a large extend.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 kingneil

kingneil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

Hi, it's the original poster here.

So, how would you access this router...? Would it have a touch screen or something on it, or would I have to access it through another computer..?

Because remember, the original issue is that if the Windows computer itself is hacked, then obviously that creates issues.

The goal is to have a hardware device that is totally independent from any other computer on the network, other than, of course, routing data to it.

Also, does anyone have any reports of routers themselves being hacked, or are they generally considered to be secure..?

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:10 PM

What you are asking for can be done with a firewall, that's one solution.

How much money do you want to spend on this?

Have you ever configured a network device like a firewall?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 kingneil

kingneil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

I have only configured a Windows or McAfee software-based firewall.

I have no experience with hardware firewalls... That's why I was asking a newbie question like, does it have a touch screen etc

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

are they (routers) generally considered to be secure..?

Unhappily not. Many routers still come with 'highly secure' default passwords such as 'admin' or 'password'. This is in fact an advantage when it comes to setting them up straight out of the box but a lot of people don't change the defaults to something - anything - more secure ! There are other more subtle weaknesses as well.

Since it isn't your router, the best thing for you to do is to ensure that your own firewall is active and as tightly set as you can get it. The rest of it, as has been said above, is good security on the computer and good practice on your part.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:51 PM

UTM firewall?  Not cheap.

#8 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:04 AM

No, hardware firewalls are not configured through a touchscreen. You connect to them through network or serial.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users