Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dllhost.exe, opening and closing all the time.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dayus

Dayus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:03 AM

Hi, thank you in advance for any help you can give :D

Ok, so noticed recently that dllhost.exe has been opening and closing alot. I don't think that it doing this is new though. I think that it probably always did this, I just been noticing it more, cause I got second monitor and now I have task manager open all the time on the second screen, which is why I now see it when it happens.

My question is:  Is it normal for it to open and close all the time, it seems to appear in task manager if I open a folder with thumbnails in it, or videos in it, or every time I open a music file. But sometimes it seems to open randomly, when using steam or even when just playing a game ? Although if I just leave the pc idle like nothing is running, it does seem to open less often.

I did Hitman Pro, TDSSKiller, MBAM & hijackthis scans and everything came back clean.

I also checked the file in process exploer and it said it was "(Verified)Microsoft" and the Virustotal mini scan in process explorer also said "0/57" detection. Also the file dictionary is windows/system32. And the file does appear to have a Microsoft digital signature

The reason I ask as well, is that dllhost never used to open as often as this on my old computer, which also had win 7 pro x64, although the new pc has service pack 1 and the old one didn't, could that be why ? Annway, I have a suspicion that this dllhost could be causing micro stutter/poor performance in some games, on the new pc. Just wondering what the likelihood is that dllhost is causing the stutter in some games, so I can rule that out in my quest to solve the micro stuffer in one game particularly.

Thank you for any info you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:30 AM

Hi there,

There is nothing wrong with dllhost.exe opening and closing in the background - it is a legit file used by Windows.

Each and every machine is different - just like no two people are exactly the same - so there will be differences between any two machines at work. In this case, I would think that dllhost.exe is not related to your issue.

Hope this helps :)

Alex

#3 Dayus

Dayus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:51 AM

Thanks Alex, thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

You may be right, I have since discovered that something called "DPC latency" plays a much larger roll in the cause of micro stutters. Which is very annoying, because from what I understand you can have the most powerful rig in the world, but if you have constant DPC latency spikes, then all that raw power doesn't mean squat.

Also there is basically a motherboard bios setting called "High Precision Event Timer (HPET)" which is the one of the biggest causes of DPC latency, and basically long story short, if you disable HPET then you basically rid yourself of DPC latency micro stutter forever. Except if you have certain motherboards, which enforce HPET and don't allow it to be disabled, such as Asus boards. Guess what motherboard I have...   :(

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

I'm not much of a gamer myself, but I can understand.

Well, if things doesn't work out the way we want to then we will have to adapt to it. ^^

Glad that you found the answer to your question :)

Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users