Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on upgrading video card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 supergtenk

supergtenk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:24 AM

Hello, im trying to upgrade my video graphic card from Geforce GT 530 to a Geforce GTX 960.  My computer current spec is

GPU: Geforce GT 530

CPU: intel core i7-2600 cpu @ 3.4ghz

Memory: 12 GB RAM

PSU: 470 Watt

I was wondering if i should go ahead and upgrade it to GTX 960 or something lower or should i upgrading my PSU first before doing any thing to my GPU

Thanks for reading this

Edited by hamluis, 08 May 2015 - 04:48 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:26 AM

Hello supergtenk,

I did some calculations and according to them your minimum PSU wattage with a more powerful video card should be around 470-500 W. The GPU of your choice has a significant power usage (120w) so it's better to move to a more powerful PSU. It's always better to be on the safe side. I would recommend a 600W and preferably from a trusted manufacturer. Otherwise, I think it's worth the upgrade, and will definitely result in a powerful gaming machine. Best regards, Citizen_WD 

#3 supergtenk

supergtenk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

Thank you for the advice, you have been a great help

#4 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:12 AM

Glad I could be useful, if you have any other questions feel free to ask. I wish you happy computing, Citizen_WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users