Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Build - Would Like Some Opinions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 snipersgethead

snipersgethead

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:24 PM

Hello,

I've been trying to get some feedback on my first $1000-$1200 budget first gaming desktop build. Here are the parts I've selected so far.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XWjyBm
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XWjyBm/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($214.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($123.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($117.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK ATX Full Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($19.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1091.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-06 23:21 EDT-0400

Any suggestions or comments are welcome. I'm really unsure about the choice of motherboard out of everything on there. I live by a MicroCenter, where they take $40 off any compatible mobo if you buy a selected CPU (I already bought the i5-4690K above from them, so I need to go back and select a mobo to get those savings).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:40 AM

You will need a copy of Windows, which is about $100.  Are you going to be doing overclocking with this PC?  The RAM has tall heatspreaders which can interfere with the CPU cooler due to clearance issues.  Unless you are going to be overclocking your RAM, you can probably get Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 or you can double your RAM with Mushkin Enhanced Stealth 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600.

3939.png

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:21 AM

That particular CPU cooler shouldn't cause a problem for any ram - it's designed to avoid overhanging the memory slots.  Pics of installation here.  All looks good to me.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for the responses! Yes I've got the OS situated/accounted for. I'm not going to be overclocking or using SLI right off the bat, but it's configured to allow for it when I'm ready to do so in the future.

Any thoughts on that particular mobob?

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

I've got one of those Gigabyte motherboards.  It's seems OK in terms of quality of materials and layout.  There's a heatsink on the VRM, and none of the motherboard temperatures get particularly high.  There is a wide range of overclocking settings, but I haven't done any serious experimentation with that.  I'm not making use of the SLI or Crossfire support.  I've set my i5-4670k to run at 4ghz on all 4 cores in "turbo" mode with no voltage changes and that is good enough for me.  The onboard sound quality is very good, at least that is my subjective opinion.  The Killer network drivers initially gave me some problems, but are working fine now. More money gets you more bells and whistles, but I haven't really found any reason why I wished I'd bought a different motherboard yet, so I take that as a good sign.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:25 AM

Nice - how long have you had it? I've seen reviews on Newegg and PCPartPicker, and they weren't exactly flattering. Someone advised though that I should be highly cautious using these sites for reviews. I tried looking up the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 elsewhere for reviews but couldn't find much - hence, I'm trying to get as much feedback about it as possible.

Not sure what extra features I need from a mobo (If you couldn't tell, I'm really new to this stuff), but what I know for sure is that I am looking for compatibility (obviously) and reliability/durability. The only functionality that I can explicitly think of that would change which mobo I should get is that the option of SLI and overclocking is open to me in the future, but I'm not using these functions right off the bat.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:46 PM

Since about last August.  I got it as it was on a special deal, but I've used Gigabyte stuff for a long time and took a punt.  Most boards have their share of bad reviews on those sites.  People have trouble setting up (may or may not be user error) and leave bad reviews.  What specific problems were mentioned and I can tell you whether or not I've run into it?  One issue I forgot about is that it sometimes takes longer than it should to POST.  Seems show the "Gigabyte" logo several times before the Windows 8 login screen appears. Not quite sure why that is, but it seems dependent on what hardware is connected. When I've disconnected everything bar keyboard/mouse it doesn't do it ever.  It isn't a show stopper, just a bit weird.

There's a review here - http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/gigabyte-ga-z97x-gaming-3.html - they criticise power consumption but to me 10w or whatever is not something I'm overly concerned about.  You probably won't go far wrong with most Gigabyte or Asus Z97 boards, or in fact MSI or Asrock either.  The slightly more expensive Asus Z97-A is a good standard board that has been well reviewed.

Edited by jonuk76, 07 May 2015 - 12:49 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:35 PM

No criticism in particular that I read about - just saw that the Gaming 3 had a lack of reviews and where there were ones they were not in high praise. I've also heard about the Asus Z97-A, would you recommend me getting that instead assuming it gives me all the opportunities the Gaming 3 would? I think it's only $10~ more and well within budget, but at the same time I've heard mostly all good things about Gigabyte in general! I was also looking at the MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA 1150 as it had pretty good reviews as well. At this point though, unless the quality of the other two are just significantly better I'm fine sticking with Gigabyte since a lot of people seem to like the brand.

Is the PSU overkill for my machine? It was suggested to me since I wanted the ability to overclock and SLI in the future but will it run me more electricity or shorten the life of my computer significantly over a smaller one for my current needs?

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:57 PM

I can't really give any meaningful comparison between the Asus Z97-A and the Gigabyte model simply because I've never used the Asus, but it's well reviewed.  I'm perfectly happy with the Z97X-Gaming 3 as it does what I need it to do, it is stable, and has given me no major problems.  Another review here if needed - http://wccftech.com/review/gigabyte-z97x-gaming-3-lga-1150-z97chipset-motherboard-review/

Power supply overkill is much better than running a lower power one close to the limits.  The EVGA one you've picked is a good quality PSU, highly recommended - reviewed in depth here.  It won't use any more electricity, and it won't shorten the life of the computer compared to a lower wattage unit.  It will allow you to add a second GPU at a later date if you decided to, with capacity to spare.  

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users