I have a Toshiba Satellite A300 - 02W and am running windows Vista SP1.
I'm quite sure I've installed Vista from my recovery disks before, likely several times over these years, and not had any of these problems so can anyone weigh in on whether this could be related to the tech changing the hard drive? (because if so, then it's his problem to fix!) In the mean time.....
I booted in safe mode with network & verify that the device manager still shows a Code 39 problem, and when I select "update driver" it says that I have the appropriate driver. My strategy is to get the audio working first before looking at the others.
So I selected Uninstall Driver, In device manager, I scanned for hardware changes; the sound card was identified, and software was automatically installed. It is dated 2006, version 6.0.6000.16386
My audio icon still has a red x on it, though the device manager's yellow ! is gone. When I click it, it says Windows Audio Service is not enabled. when I click the option to enable it, a sound window with 3 tabs appears: Playback, recording and sounds. On the first 2 tabs, says "no audio devices are installed" and the configure button is not able to be selected. ( and the last tab is just assigning different beeps to different events. So there's nothing I can do there.)
New strategy: I downloaded from downloadcenter.intel.com the rar file called realtek HD audio driver. I notice this file is dated 10/20/2009 but my audio driver originally was dated 4/9/2008. I wonder if windows indicated it was most up to date as I still only have SP1 installed (I hadn't bothered to update windows yet, figuring this problem should be addressed first)
I select Update Driver, select browse my computer to manually install, in the "Search for driver in this location" prompt, I select "let me pick from a list on my computer" which leads me to a screen with a button labelled Have Disk....which is looking for an inf file. I retry the process without pressing Have Disk...instead pressing Next, which warns me against installing "this driver", and after Next, it says it's installed successfully, but it's just the same data as before: eg dated 2006. and my red x is still present on the audio icon.
I rebooted my system, and now the audio looks cured so I'm going to try this above process on the other items and I'll report back if it doesn't work
PS Summary of device manager's complaint: (though when selected, says I have the most uptodate driver)
- (network adapter) intel Wifi Link 5100
- (display adapters) mobile intel 4 chipset [two of them]
- (modem) toshiba software modem
- (sound) realteck HD audio
- (system device) Blue tooth ACPI...I didn't mention this b4 as I'm not sure I have bluetooth hardware
Edited by YesM, 11 May 2015 - 09:51 PM.