Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

fresh Vista install not recognizing devices

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 YesM

YesM

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:43 PM

After 5 years of working fine, I suspected I needed a new hard drive when my Vista started to crash randomly after fresh Vista re-installs. (my guess is I had either a virus - which seemed unlikely given my use of automaticall updated Avast and MalWareBytes and my browsing habits have all been the same ; and the stumper was that problems weren't solved by fresh reinstalls....so that made me think it was bad sectors, tho' after scans quaranteened them, severe crashes still happened.

A tech installed a new hard drive for my Toshiba laptop, and I installed my original Windows Vista Recovery DVDs I made when it was new, but several yellow exclamation marks appear in the device manager; (I looked there after my fresh windows install says no sound hardware is detected). I checked and my device driver is up to date; and the 4 others device problems say the same thing eg for audio output Realtek HD, Wifi Link 5100, Display Adapters PCI Bus, etc Each one says "Windows cannot load drivers - code 39"

The only advice I've found on the net hasn't worked. In RegEdit, when I open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\, there is only one entry named (Default),and type is REG_SZ and Data is (value not set) so I can't delete upper or lower filters.

Any ideas?

Edited by YesM, 06 May 2015 - 07:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

What model is your Toshiba? There's usually a sticker with the model number on the bottom.

You may have to manually reinstall the device drivers, it sounds like they are corrupted in some way.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 YesM

YesM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:38 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite A300 - 02W and am running windows Vista SP1.

I'm quite sure I've installed Vista from my recovery disks before, likely several times over these years, and not had any of these problems so can anyone weigh in on whether this could be related to the tech changing the hard drive? (because if so, then it's his problem to fix!) In the mean time.....

I booted in safe mode with network & verify that the device manager still shows a Code 39 problem, and when I select "update driver" it says that I have the appropriate driver. My strategy is to get the audio working first before looking at the others.

So I selected Uninstall Driver, In device manager, I scanned for hardware changes; the sound card was identified, and software was automatically installed. It is dated 2006, version 6.0.6000.16386

My audio icon still has a red x on it, though the device manager's yellow ! is gone. When I click it, it says Windows Audio Service is not enabled. when I click the option to enable it, a sound window with 3 tabs appears: Playback, recording and sounds. On the first 2 tabs, says "no audio devices are installed" and the configure button is not able to be selected. ( and the last tab is just assigning different beeps to different events. So there's nothing I can do there.)

New strategy: I downloaded from downloadcenter.intel.com the rar file called realtek HD audio driver. I notice this file is dated 10/20/2009 but my audio driver originally was dated 4/9/2008. I wonder if windows indicated it was most up to date as I still only have SP1 installed (I hadn't bothered to update windows yet, figuring this problem should be addressed first)

I select Update Driver,  select browse my computer to manually install, in the "Search for driver in this location" prompt, I select  "let me pick from a list on my computer"  which leads me to a screen with a button labelled Have Disk....which is looking for an inf file. I retry the process without pressing Have Disk...instead pressing Next, which warns me against installing "this driver", and after Next, it says it's installed successfully, but it's just the same data as before: eg dated 2006. and my red x is still present on the audio icon.

I rebooted my system, and now the audio looks cured so I'm going to try this above process on the other items and I'll report back if it doesn't work

PS  Summary of device manager's complaint: (though when selected, says I have the most uptodate driver)

• (network adapter) intel Wifi Link 5100
  • (display adapters) mobile intel 4 chipset [two of them]
  • (modem) toshiba software modem
  • (sound) realteck HD audio
  • (system device) Blue tooth ACPI...I didn't mention this b4 as I'm not sure I have bluetooth hardware

Edited by YesM, 11 May 2015 - 09:51 PM.

#4 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

Try downloading and installing the following:

Intel Chipset Driver

Realtek Audio Driver

Intel Wireless Driver

Toshiba Soft Modem Driver

Toshiba Bluetooth Stack Driver

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users