Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Stays Cool - Still Acts As Though It's Overheating

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MidnightXS

MidnightXS

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:38 PM

Hey BC. Recently I bought a new laptop with some rather weak specs that are still strong enough to play some decent PC games. These PC games run smoothly on Max settings, but they still hit lag spots on occasion. I'm using a cooling pad (Which keeps it very cool) and I've made sure that my CPU is allowed to run at 100%. I'll be playing the games smoothly and, suddenly, it will drop to for no apparent reason. It doesn't last long, either (A few minutes), so this doesn't makes sense to me.

No virus is causing this issue since I have a great antivirus and it did the same thing shortly after a complete PC wipe as well. My PC is completely up to date, drivers and alll, and I have no heavy background processes running when it happens. I believe it's my hardware:

Video Card: Intel HD Graphics (32 MB VRAM)

Processor: Intel Pentium N3530 @ 2.16GHz

RAM: 4GB

I think that since I have such a small amount of VRAM the PC is using more of the RAM to compensate, then once that fills up the lag will kick in until it wipes itself. Now that was just a guess, I hope I'm wrong because I'm not going to be upgrading any hardware in this PC since I'll be buying a gaming desktop sometime soon. These are the games that are the most problematic:

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)

Burnout Paradise

Trackmania 2: Canyon

As you can see it's a wide range of graphical progression (From 2005-2012) yet it happens in all of them to the same degree. Anyone able to help me out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 theo19

theo19

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

I had this issue, a LONG time ago, Do you use mcafee 

Edited by theo19, 06 May 2015 - 07:09 PM.

#3 MidnightXS

MidnightXS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:09 PM

I had this issue, a LONG time ago, Do you have McAfee by any chance? 

No, I use IObit Advanced System Care 7. I don't think that would be a huge problem since it's pretty light when it's not doing anything.

I suppose I could shut it off when gaming.

#4 theo19

theo19

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

Its worth testing, I had this issue with crysis 3, when I turned mcafee off, it didn't happen anymore. 

#5 MidnightXS

MidnightXS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

Nope, that didn't work. Nothing spikes in the Task Manager, either.

FPS:

Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005): Runs at a smooth 30 FPS most of the time, but drops to around 12 FPS during the lag spikes.

Burnout Paradise: About 50 FPS until it lags, at which point it drops to 15 FPS.

Trackmania 2 Canyon: Between 40 and 50 FPS, but drops to 16 FPS.

I'll try some other games in a bit.

#6 MidnightXS

MidnightXS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:16 AM

I've found a satisfying enough fix. While it's only temporary, shutting down the laptop before starting the game prevents the problem. So long as I don't open aything else before thie game it performs much better.

While I'm here:

Can anyone recommend some games that will run well on this system? Preferably Racing, Platformer, or JRPG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users