Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dyson1

dyson1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

logged into my yahoo e-mail and was getting to know my acct. clicked on recent activities and was shown to be in south boston. is that a normal reading? i'm using mozilla firefox browser

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:49 PM

Hi there,

If it's not your current location then your account is probably compromised. I would recommend you to change your password immediately on a known clean machine.

Regards,
Alex

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

By any chance are you, or were you using a proxy or mobile platform when you performed the inquiry?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,904 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

Yahoo Help: Manage Location and Language settings

Current Location: We use your IP address provided by your ISP (Internet Service Provider), or the location detected from your mobile device (if you gave it permission to use your location).

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

It is not unusual for an IP address to show a location that is not yours.

Internet providers acquire blocks of IP address and those IP addresses will show the location of the person who previously had that address. With time it usually corrects itself as they get updated.

You did mention in another topic you started about the same thing that your IP address is dynamic. You also said that you changed your Yahoo password and reinstalled your operating system and were still told Boston.

With a dynamic IP address which changes the simple explanation is the the database is not updated yet to reflect your location.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 May 2015 - 06:55 PM.

#6 dyson1

dyson1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:12 PM

update on problem. did a full re-install. comp sped back up. ran the minitoolbox. 2 pings to google went thru. 2 pings to yahoo didn't(dropped packet?). a little background: I play an MMO(swtor) 2 years ago I wanted in on the public test server. my anti virus flagged it for a Trojan(EA and Bioware put the game out. go figure). deleted the file. 2>3 wks ago I tried the PTS again. no flags this time. shortly after I downloaded and installed the PTS portion of the game(2>5 minutes) my comp slowed down and I panicked. after the re-install I haven't installed the PTS portion of the game. I'm not very comp savvy.(construction background). I built this comp after watching youtube for 2 wks(newegg channel)in January(3 months old) I check and update everything manually every day. my anti-virus comes with my ISP.  Kinda stumped. I'm wondering if I should scrap this rig out, quit my game and get a laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users