Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading Slows Internet, But Internet Remains Slow Afterwards!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HungryEyes

HungryEyes

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

Info:

PC Model: Custom gaming

Internet connection: Cable internet; Direct Ethernet connection to router.

Router: Linksys WRT54G (a bit old, but has never had an issue before.)

Dear helpful folks of BleepingComputer forums,

I've noticed this problem within the past two days with a certain game that I've been playing on Steam (called War Thunder, if anyone is familiar).  It loads with a launcher which checks for updates before launching the actual game, and often requires updates of 200MB to 1GB+.

Yesterday, it began downloading about 1 gigabyte of updates, and naturally, my internet browsing was slowed, almost to a halt while it was downloading.

My problem lies with what was happening after the download was complete:

After the update was completely installed (got a "Updating Complete!" message, and even closed out the program), my internet remained at its snail pace.  The same thing happened today when I launched the game and installed a 150MB update.  The internet slowed upon starting the update, and remained impossibly slow after it was completely finished.

My only resolution to this issue was to power cycle my router and modem to reset my connection, and it works, but I still do not understand why my internet remains slow after the downloading is supposedly finished.

Why is this happening?

Thank you very much, and I hope there is a logical explanation for this.

Edited by HungryEyes, 06 May 2015 - 01:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:39 AM

Hi,

Depending upon if the processes related to game was terminated or not, this may occur. Please use resource monitor (resmon.exe) 's (start orb > type resource monitor > click on the first result) network tab to watch for the processes which use high bandwidth. If that includes your game related processes, kill it.

I am wondering if your game downloads all related files every while you connect, which may be why 'check for updates' is for.

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 07 May 2015 - 10:41 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users