Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need New Video Card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The_Manager

The_Manager

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:44 AM

synergy513 made a comment on my most recent post that brought up a new question...

Do I want a video card that draws its power through my motherboard? This sounds like a bad thing, long run, for the overall health of my motherboard.

Should I choose a video card that draws its power directly from the PSU?

How do I recognize that a video card will draw its power from the PSU and not through the motherboard?

My budget is $75 - is there a video card you can recommend that meets my needs? I would like one that has 2GB of RAM, but IF DRAWING ITS POWER DIRECTLY FROM THE PSU IS IDEAL THAN I'D RATHER HAVE LESS RAM

PC SPECS

HP Pavillion p6228p

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Processor 2.60 GHz

8GB

640GB HDD

Windows 7 Ultimate

Motherboard: M2N78-LA (Violet)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:14 PM

For 75.00 you will not find a video card that requires more power than what the mainboard supplies.  The reason some cards need power from the PSU directly is because the Mainboard does not supply the amps required to run multiple processors/pipelines.  Even if you got a video card that drew power from the PSU it will still draw power from the mainboards' video card slot.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

Like YeahBleeping pointed out, you are stressing over nothing. In the end, all components including the vid card draw the power from the power supply. Whether it is routed through the mainboard or not is irrelevant and has nothing to do with more stress on the mainboard. You are running only 8 gig of RAM now, to decrease that would impact your computer performance if you are going to game or run video editing software.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 The_Manager

The_Manager
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:47 PM

Like YeahBleeping pointed out, you are stressing over nothing. In the end, all components including the vid card draw the power from the power supply. Whether it is routed through the mainboard or not is irrelevant and has nothing to do with more stress on the mainboard. You are running only 8 gig of RAM now, to decrease that would impact your computer performance if you are going to game or run video editing software.

Sweet! Thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users