Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

uninstalling including checking and adjusting registry

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:34 PM

This question is for any Windows or at least Vista and 7.

How do you know how to be sure to put Registry back the way it was after uninstalling any software?    Uninstalling a software program maybe will not always put the Registry back the way it was before installing the software.   How do you know what the changes were and be sure they get put back as before?    I do not know how Registry works and I do not know how to backup or restore Registry.

So far no current or suspected problem.  I just ask so that maybe I would later know how.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:24 AM

As time passes your registry will inevitably end up with many extra...or "orphan" keys and subkeys. BUT unless you are having some sort of an issue, they are not a problem.  All these so called "registry cleaners" do NOTHING to improve performance, as your system will function just fine by leaving them where they are.

Bleepin' computer does not recommend ANY REGISTRY CLEANER OR PC TUNE UP SOFTWARE, AS THEY OFTEN CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS!  AND NEITHER DO I!   

ALL THIS HYPE ABOUT LEFTOVER ENTRIES IS JUST THAT....HYPE!  LET THE REGISTRY BE! IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, THAT'S ANOTHER STORY, BUT UNTIL THAT TIME... DON'T WORRY.

I will recommend CCleaner, which I've been using for many years.  It's the most reliable cleanup tool out there..remove all kinds of leftover files and junk that you don't need.  

It does have a registry cleaner, which removes orphaned entries, and I've never had any problems with it... but be sure to say yes when it asks you if you want to back up the .reg files. 

NOTE: If you do install CCleaner, go to options>monitoring and uncheck the active monitoring feature. It's new and unnecessary. just clean up your system when the mood strikes you.  

PS...Ignore the " Advanced options" under the Windows tab. 

EDIT:  AS FAR AS THE REGISTRY GOES... DON'T BE CONCERNED. INSTALL WHAT YOU NEED TO... UNINSTALL WHAT YOU NEED TO.... IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES, THEN YOU ADDRESS THEM, BUT THE REGISTRY WILL NEVER BE AS IT WAS WHEN YOU TOOK YOUR COMPUTER OUT OF THE BOX.  IT WILL REFLECT ALL YOU'VE DONE WITH YOUR SYSTEM. 

Edited by MarkMCS, 06 May 2015 - 01:51 AM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:09 AM

Hi there,

If you are worried about software leaving leftovers in your computer, you can use a powerful uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller.

However, I wouldn't worry about empty folders and orphan keys - they wouldn't do anything to your system. As Mark stated above, Bleeping Computer do NOT support the use of registry cleaners.

The following warning is quoted from Moderator Budapest.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.Regards,
Alex

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:31 AM

The only orphan keys I would worry about are the ones that are using for loading points (RegLoad keys), which means, keys in the Registry used to start a program, service, driver, etc. since these can be hijacked by malware. But usually, they are deleted when you uninstall a program correctly.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

The only orphan keys I would worry about are the ones that are using for loading points (RegLoad keys), which means, keys in the Registry used to start a program, service, driver, etc. since these can be hijacked by malware. But usually, they are deleted when you uninstall a program correctly.

"Usually".  But the question is for when "not usual".

Alextrasza, MarkMCS,

Your discussions about Registry cleaners are off-the-point.  The question is about what to do about backup of Registry or in case an uninstall gives a Registry which causes any trouble after uninstall of some software product.  Question is not intended to be about Registry cleaners.  Like you said anyway, I would prefer to avoid Registry cleaners.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

If you ever encounter an error in the Registry, caused by a key left by a program that you have uninstalled, some of them have "uninstall tools" or "clean-up tools" that you can use which will delete every remaining entries from the program in the Registry, and maybe even its files and folders.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:08 PM

If you wish a safe way to make Registry Backups, you can use ERUNT.  Using Windows RegBak takes a little longer.  Having a shortcut to the where the Registry Backups are located makes it easier to simply delete anything past 3-5 backups. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

...some of them have "uninstall tools" or "clean-up tools" ...

Or, they provide PDFs with details on how to do it.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#9 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

You would have to address that specific problem when and if it arises. Unfortunately there is no single, simple answer to your registry backup question.  

If you apply a registry backup incorrectly, you may damage your registry or at the very least cause problems you didn't have originally.

Edited by MarkMCS, 06 May 2015 - 02:14 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

If ERUNT doesn't work for you (since there's known issues with it with Windows Vista and above), Tweaking.com Registry Backup is another really good program to use.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html

unite_blue.png

#11 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:34 PM

The response then in short, leave the Registry alone unless there is a problem.  I can only hope no problem occurs.  

As for system restore putting back a detail that I would have uninstalled, this seems very very bad.  But would it be Windows fault or would it be the uninstalled software's fault?  

I'm not sure I learned anything.  I would want to avoid using any extra tools to do anything with Registry.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

Well, if you create a restore point whilr a program is installed and then uninstall it after, if you do a System Restore, its neither's Windows or the program's fault for leaving the restore point as it is since they cannot be modified. So its no one's fault. At a certain point, its the user's responsibility to manage his restore points and keep them updated.

unite_blue.png

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

IMO, SRPs and/or Registry Backup RESTORES strongest point:  correcting configurations and tweakings.  Restoring [correcting] installs, uninstalls, folder & file deletions -- whew! worked this time! at best; quite to very problematic at worst.

Edited by RolandJS, 06 May 2015 - 03:28 PM.

#14 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:48 PM

Well, if you create a restore point whilr a program is installed and then uninstall it after, if you do a System Restore, its neither's Windows or the program's fault for leaving the restore point as it is since they cannot be modified. So its no one's fault. At a certain point, its the user's responsibility to manage his restore points and keep them updated.

IMO, SRPs and/or Registry Backup RESTORES strongest point:  correcting configurations and tweakings.  Restoring [correcting] installs, uninstalls, folder & file deletions -- whew! worked this time! at best; quite to very problematic at worst.

I have no idea what you two said.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

In other words, put your trust in making and maintaining multible partition images of your OS partition and of your data partition on at least two external USB HDs; System Restore Points restores and Registry Backup restores do not always result in smooth computer operations.  Problematic meaning: sometimes, what was once dead comes back to life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users