Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU Shopping

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 supermaltese

supermaltese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:15 PM

I ordered a XFX AMD Radeon HD 5450 for my HP Pavillion 6228

8GB Ram

Windows 7 Ultimate

600 GB HDD

400w PSU

AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 2.60GHz (Quad Core)

I plan on some gaming, but nothing requiring more than 1GB

I plan on doing some lite video editing

I plan on doing some Bitcoin Mining in the background, but I don't expect much more than a few pennies a day

What PSU should I order to replace the one installed now?

What is the difference between a high performance and low performance PSU?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:32 AM

a 5450 is a model line-up that isn't very demanding of energy from the power supply and it gets the power required from the motherboard . 400 watts should be sufficient for total system needs.

the PC power supply topic gets crazy in the details. the most obvious detail is "peak" output or "continuous" output, the latter being the more desireable, and expensive.

another detail that has emerged in recent years is the 80+ credential.  80+ is a tell-tale sign that the power supply is manufactured with efficiency as a priority.

most of the corsair and antec power supplies are within desireable range of the home users budget and performance demands.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/power-supply/#m=52,11&sort=a9&page=1

what is fascinating is that the origins of the power supply units are spread out far and wide.  abc mfg co. might make power supplies for xyz brand as well as other entities and it is sometimes difficult to ascertain exactly where the power supply originated without  focused research effort ..

Edited by synergy513, 06 May 2015 - 01:00 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:43 AM

Your present PSU should be fine for your application, including your graphics card.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 The_Manager

The_Manager

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

I'm confused. A video card which draws more power, how does it get its power? It's still routed through the motherboard...not even sure what question to ask to understand better

#5 The_Manager

The_Manager

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

Will the video card I mentioned be enough to do what I want to do? I don't want to do super graphic-intensive applications, but I don't want to ... wear anything out because I didn't choose the right video card, or the right PSU...

#6 The_Manager

The_Manager

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:42 PM

Ah... maybe I asked the wrong question to begin with. I'll run a calculation on how much power my computer is actually drawing from my PSU. I would think that it should not exceed a certain percentage of the total continuous output. My current PSU supplies a maximum of 400w continuous power. Should I not exceed, say, 85% of that?

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:02 PM

I'm confused. A video card which draws more power, how does it get its power? It's still routed through the motherboard...not even sure what question to ask to understand better

A video card can draw up to 75 watts through the PCIe slot.  For anything more than that, external power connections (6 pin or 8 pin PCIe connectors) are needed.

The 75 watt limit is fine for most lower end video cards (like the HD 5450 mentioned above).  It's actual maximum power draw is less than 20 w.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:05 PM

Will the video card I mentioned be enough to do what I want to do? I don't want to do super graphic-intensive applications, but I don't want to ... wear anything out because I didn't choose the right video card, or the right PSU...

Old games on low quality settings will probably be usable. Not much beyond that.  Forget Bitcoin mining.  It's my understanding even the most powerful current GPU's are not a viable option for this now.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

ii would vote that the 2.6 gnz athlon quad-core cpu is good enough to be a candidate for power supply and gfx card upgrades. the motherboard in your HP is set to go with the x16 slot. it is kind of odd that your unit is fitted with a 400 watt psu though, most of the consumer level dells and hps and the like are suited up with a feeble 300 watt unit to ship with.

but then the cure-all is again pointing to the mid-range maxwell gtx 750. those will be fine with your current 400w power supply, are within reasonable budget range and can get the work done as detailed in your application demands.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#sort=a8&c=163&page=1

the 5450 isn't really good for much of anything except utilizing output to TV or dual monitor setup. Home PC users keep buying them though, mostly because they are at the bottom rung of the budget groups.

Edited by synergy513, 06 May 2015 - 02:44 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#11 The_Manager

The_Manager

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:51 PM

Old games on low quality settings will probably be usable. Not much beyond that.  Forget Bitcoin mining.  It's my understanding even the most powerful current GPU's are not a viable option for this now.

Correct.  I have external miners for cryptocurrency mining. I would like to use my GPU's unused resources to mine when I'm not using it. GPU mining is not viable. To make more than a few pennies each day I would need to spend $1000+ on a GPU.

#12 The_Manager

The_Manager

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:07 PM

ii would vote that the 2.6 gnz athlon quad-core cpu is good enough to be a candidate for power supply and gfx card upgrades. the motherboard in your HP is set to go with the x16 slot. it is kind of odd that your unit is fitted with a 400 watt psu though, most of the consumer level dells and hps and the like are suited up with a feeble 300 watt unit to ship with.

but then the cure-all is again pointing to the mid-range maxwell gtx 750. those will be fine with your current 400w power supply, are within reasonable budget range and can get the work done as detailed in your application demands.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#sort=a8&c=163&page=1

the 5450 isn't really good for much of anything except utilizing output to TV or dual monitor setup. Home PC users keep buying them though, mostly because they are at the bottom rung of the budget groups.

Well, since you mentioned that my HP originally shipped with a 300w PSU, I'm thinking I have replaced it. I got it as a trade. A guy called me and asked me to install MS Office Suite Pro and an Anti Virus program. When I got there, he asked me how much it would cost. I asked him what he was going to do with the old computer (the HP we're talking about). He said he'd just stick it in the garage and it would collect dust. I asked him if he'd give me the computer and we'd call it even. He said yes.

That was summer of 2012.  At that time, it was still selling for around $600 new, so I got the better end of the deal.

The onboard GPU will no stay cool and my PC will crash/shutdown. I have a 12" fan propped up pointing in, with the the side panel off, that's keeping my PC down to about 61c most of the time.

#13 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:09 PM

I just wanted to chime in and say Here is a good list of the power supply recommendations for different video cards.  Also there used to be a guy out there who compared many brands of different vendor power supplies.  He would test each one for any variance on the 5 and 12 volt rails and then again under load.  I cannot find the site anymore so unfortunately I think all that good info is gone.  As stated a 400 watt psu for the video card your suggesting is perfectly fine for your setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users