Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would anyone extend to this?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Beings

Beings

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

Hello.

Currently, I have been asking around and asking for opinions if I should change anything on my build? I do not mind the price but I prefer not to go pass the $5,000aus (Australian Dollar) mark. I can go further, but $5,000 will do the job in my opinion. 

Would there any parts that could improve? Are these company brands reliable? Would you change anything?

Edit: I am making a "Sleeper" so please do not mind the case.

Also, please do not state that "You can go cheaper"

Anyways, thanks.

Computer Build: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/nTZgHx

Second Edit:

Here is a build I built from the above link. Gathered information on people have said. Ended up being $7,000. Contemplating spending this much for this beast.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/WvNyBm

Edited by Beings, 06 May 2015 - 08:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:37 PM

$33 for a fan and you want to get seven of them?  Fans move air, unless there is something really special about those fans you can get seven fans for less than $33 total.

I'd go with a Titan over dual cards.  A single card solution will give you fewer issues than a dual card solution.

It would also be helpful to know what you plan on doing with this machine as this would allow us to recommend a machine suited for your purpose.

#3 Beings

Beings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:44 PM

$33 for a fan and you want to get seven of them?  Fans move air, unless there is something really special about those fans you can get seven fans for less than $33 total.

I'd go with a Titan over dual cards.  A single card solution will give you fewer issues than a dual card solution.

It would also be helpful to know what you plan on doing with this machine as this would allow us to recommend a machine suited for your purpose.

I will be playing games and editing (Sony Vegas). I want the best quality for any game, the best colours basically. I will be playing on 1440p. 

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:52 AM

You'll have the best quality in games, for a time. 

Fans will help move air and keep things cool, but I doubt you need all seven in the beginning.  You could just get a couple and see how your temperatures are.  You could also get a liquid cooling solution for your GPU's.  I also agree that multiple GPU's can be problematic with drivers and game support.  You will also need a copy of Windows.

Out of curiosity, which monitor are you using?  If you are looking for good color reproduction, IPS monitors are a great choice.

3939.png

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:27 AM

I agree with comments about fans, it seems rather excessive.  Quiet motors or not, with those air flow ratings, 7 x 3000 rpm fans are going to sound like a jet if all of them were to run at anything close to full pelt.  Hopefully it won't end up like this ;)

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Highjinks

Highjinks

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:26 PM

Also just adding fans doesn't necessarily mean you're going to run cooler. Most cases are designed to have air running in a specific direction. Having fans just blasting air all over the place isn't the correct course of action IMO

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

What Highjinks said is true. The air flow has to be intelligently managed, not just increased.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

The case comes with perfectly respectable Corsair 140mm low speed fans anyway, which are quiet and perfectly fine for creating the modest airflow needed for cooling motherboard components and drives etc.  You can upgrade them to Noctua if you want, but I don't think the 3000rpm versions are necessary for this purpose myself.  They are anything but silent as the video below shows.  You might want to put the high performance fans on the CPU radiator, as this could potentially benefit from them.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

Hi there looks like you have quite the system going.  I agree you may not need so many fans and you can definitely get them cheaper from amazon.

I would also go with a Titan card unless you plan on powering 6 monitors.  In which case SLI may be better for you. Since money seems to be a moot point maybe you want the Nvidia Quadro M6000

Edited by YeahBleeping, 06 May 2015 - 03:55 PM.

#10 Beings

Beings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

Hi there looks like you have quite the system going.  I agree you may not need so many fans and you can definitely get them cheaper from amazon.

I would also go with a Titan card unless you plan on powering 6 monitors.  In which case SLI may be better for you. Since money seems to be a moot point maybe you want the Nvidia Quadro M6000

I had a look at the Quadro and it feels like it's over priced in my opinion. Remember, I will be editing videos a lot, so I want there best performance and quality for my renders with my GPU. A lot of people evenly are saying both Titan is better or the dual 980's are better. I might need to do more research on this. 

The specifications below show the single 980 is better than the M6000 and since I am getting two 980's, it would be much more powerful?

Quadro vs 980: http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Quadro-K6000-vs-Nvidia-GTX-980/2837vs2576

Edit: I am retarded, haha. I researched the K6000 not M6000. I am going to research again.

This GPU is crazy. I can't find an Australian supplier though. I can't find a price for it?

The one's on the internet have 12 GB GDDR5 but the one above is 6 GB GDDR5?

Edited by Beings, 06 May 2015 - 07:08 PM.

#11 Beings

Beings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:38 PM

You'll have the best quality in games, for a time. 

Fans will help move air and keep things cool, but I doubt you need all seven in the beginning.  You could just get a couple and see how your temperatures are.  You could also get a liquid cooling solution for your GPU's.  I also agree that multiple GPU's can be problematic with drivers and game support.  You will also need a copy of Windows.

Out of curiosity, which monitor are you using?  If you are looking for good color reproduction, IPS monitors are a great choice.

I was going to purchase my monitors last. I might go with Asus. Currently, I am running the Asus VX248H, and it's great for both my computer and console. But, I am not sure what monitor I will buy yet. I'll look into IPS monitors from Asus. 

This will be the first computer I am building, not sure if I'll get it professional built. I thought liquid cooling would also cool down the GPU not just the CPU? Would you get the Titan X but it is under powered compared to dual 980's?  

Edit: Yes, I'll be getting Windows 7 ;p

Edited by Beings, 06 May 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#12 Beings

Beings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:51 PM

I agree with comments about fans, it seems rather excessive.  Quiet motors or not, with those air flow ratings, 7 x 3000 rpm fans are going to sound like a jet if all of them were to run at anything close to full pelt.  Hopefully it won't end up like this ;)

I will watch this video when I go home. School has blocked Youtube. 

Anyways, yes, when I think about it, I might degrade the fans but I do still want air circulation for long time use. Will smaller fans not make the hardware over heat?

#13 Beings

Beings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

The case comes with perfectly respectable Corsair 140mm low speed fans anyway, which are quiet and perfectly fine for creating the modest airflow needed for cooling motherboard components and drives etc.  You can upgrade them to Noctua if you want, but I don't think the 3000rpm versions are necessary for this purpose myself.  They are anything but silent as the video below shows.  You might want to put the high performance fans on the CPU radiator, as this could potentially benefit from them.

Okay I see. I will reply to this comment again when I can watch the video you have provided. Thanks for your help :D

#14 Beings

Beings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:44 PM

I just played around to exactly what I want. I have used the other link but changed things around.

Is this build better? http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/WvNyBm

Much more though D:

Edited by Beings, 06 May 2015 - 08:08 PM.

#15 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:12 PM

You mentioned also wanting to water cool the Titan card... this is possible .. but you would have to ' build ' your own cooling setup.  I have done this and it is not hard but is time consuming to get the way you want it. For some people this may be too advanced. I only recommend you get the quick disconnects and Tygon tubing and a titan waterblock would get these things from here.

This is the water cooled rig I built many years ago.

pump_side.jpg

Edited by YeahBleeping, 06 May 2015 - 09:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users