Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GTA V PC Unbearable Stuttering

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bright10A

Bright10A

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

I purchased GTA V on PC a couple weeks ago but have been unable to play the game due to the massive amount of stuttering that occurs after running the game for more than five minutes or so. I've tried every fix imaginable that I could find, from editing the page file of my PC to editing settings in the NVIDIA control panel but sadly nothing has worked. Rockstar customer support has been of absolutely no help and none of the patches that have been released for GTA V have done anything to improve my game performance. Also I am updated to the latest drivers for my graphics card.

I meet the minimum requirements for the game and even tried turning every single graphical setting down to the absolute lowest (Even though the game's recommended settings for me had almost everything on high or very high) but that didn't help one bit. I'm desperate for help and any possible solutions to this unplayable stuttering would be appreciated. I read some people stating that GTA V really needs 8GB of RAM and not 4 but in that case why would Rockstar list 4GB for the minimum RAM requirement? I read other people saying the game has a memory leak but if that was the case then surely Rockstar would have done something by now? I don't know really, but hopefully you all can help :D.

My Specs:

CPU: AMD FX 8320 3.5GHZ

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 760

RAM: 4GB

NOTE: I bought the game via Rockstar's site, I don't have it on Steam.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 reaper0117

reaper0117

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

You could try multiple things but I'm assuming you tried them already as per your post.

Could check and see if the game install was damaged, ie uninstall, reinstall

Make sure all your drivers are up to date

Check computer for infections that may have caused a corruption in files for the game if it even happened

IMHO I always find it better to have above the minimum requirements for a game. Their are cases where the minimum isn't correct and this can possibly be the case as well. If you are able to, try upgrading your RAM if the above solutions don't help. 

#3 Bright10A

Bright10A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for the tips but I am positive my PC isn't infected and I know my drivers are up to date. At this point I am thinking the minimum requirements are incorrect but I just want to be sure.

#4 ransomwolf

ransomwolf

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:29 AM

Do you have an SSD? If so, try installing it there. The stuttering could happen because the game can't load some areas fast enough, maybe because you're driving too fast.

Make sure you're not using custom radios, people say it can cause stuttering. Try Alt+Tabbing to windows, and back to the game, after the main story loads. In my PC, it will only use like 30% CPU before Alt+Tabing, stuttering a lot and having frame drops, then it's nearly 100% and it runs smooth (there are  still some texture popins and stuff, but I'm over the memory limit anyway).

In the past, people said closing the gtavlauncher.exe used a lot of CPU, but it should be fixed now.

Edited by ransomwolf, 17 May 2015 - 06:30 AM.

#5 Amna Umen

Amna Umen

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:36 AM

Did you try switching down to DirectX 10? That solved a lot of framerate issues for me and I have an FX-8330.

#6 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:10 PM

The fact about the game having a memory leak is true. I don't notice anything of it because I have 12GB RAM, and the game usually tops at 8,50. My friend who only has 4GB RAM finds himself having to restart after about 3 or 4 hours of non-stop play. But not five minutes. Do you have this issue with other games as well? And as stated above, have you tried using DirectX 10, rather than DX11?

Ironically I have a very similar card as you, only it's the MSI GTX 760 4GB OC.

I would advice that in the long run you'd still go for at least 8GB RAM. A lot of newer games are starting to really utilize 64 Bit.

But all that aside, are your drivers up to date? Is the game's performance low in general, or does it just start to lag after 5 minutes?

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

#7 MADDxDOGG

MADDxDOGG

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:30 PM

I had a similar issue but mine had nothing to do with gta 5 or drivers i had to doing with my thermal paste so i just cleaned it off and added some new thermal paste and viola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users