Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Drive Troubles

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pantera550esr

pantera550esr

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:42 PM

i bought a north gate pc about 3 years ago. after burning 180 dvds and many cds (give or take), my dvd burner failed on me all together, it would not read or write anything. so i got it replaced about a year ago (when it failed) and it was working great untill now. when it was first installed, when i went to the device manager folder, it was recognised by windows as "dvd-rw" (or something along those lines) now it is recognised as "dvd-ram". the problem im having is that i cannot burn dvds. i can read all the dvds in my collection, and i can read cds. i can even write cds. but i cannot write dvds. when using nero to burn a dvd, the error message comes up saying "reallocation of dvd files failed". is this just a programming issue, or is a problem with the burner it self? i have an LG dvd burner. i would go to their website, but they do not support it anymore. I am not sure, im not a genious by any means, but i think one of the many viruses i had reprogrammed the firmware of the burner. I have, as of July 1st, 2006, gotten rid of 450 various forms of malware, viruses, trojens, etc. is this possiably that this is what happened? what can i do to fix the drive short of replacing it completly?

thanks in advance to any one who takes tim to read this

MiKe
MiKe

"a true friend won't come bail you out of jail... he will be sitting there next to you saying 'we screwed up!!!'"

"God Bless Athiesam!!!"

Squirlles: Natures Little speed bumps

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:23 AM

Do you have 2 CD/DVD drives on your computer? I do and I'm only able to burn onto one of them (don't know if this is a bug or if it's supposed to be)

Try going into My Computer and right-clicking on the drive you want to burn on. Click Properties, and then the Recording tab. If it isn't already, click "Enable CD recording on this drive"

If it wasn't enabled before, this may solve your problem. If it doesn't, then somebody else may have a suggestion.

Posted Image

#3 pantera550esr

pantera550esr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:03 PM

no, ionly have the one. but i will still try to enable burning, because ive had aboitu 500 infectioons on the computer so maby one reset it?
MiKe

"a true friend won't come bail you out of jail... he will be sitting there next to you saying 'we screwed up!!!'"

"God Bless Athiesam!!!"

#4 pantera550esr

pantera550esr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:16 PM

nope that was already enabled. i dont think that would hae worked anyway, because i can burn and read cds. i can read dvds, i just cant write them though. if it helps, i have a test from nero for my dvd drive
MiKe

"God Bless Athiesam!!!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users