Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IPad vs. other tablets

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Clorey70

Clorey70

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

I have an IPad 3 at the moment, but I want to get either a new IPad Air or a Microsoft tablet or Android. I just don't have any idea what I should look at. I have a laptop that I like very much with Windows 8.1, but I also love the IPad too. Can someone steer me in the right direction? Thank you so much.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 May 2015 - 10:46 AM.
moved from Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:20 PM

How invested are you in your iPad apps?  If you get a new iPad you can install the apps you currently have, if you switch to a different tablet you'll have to repurchase or find replacements.

What do you do on the the iPad?

One advantage of switching to an Android would be that you could get two or three tablets for the cost of an iPad.

The Microsoft Surface is essentially a laptop, since you already have a laptop I don't see where it would be a good fit.

Myself, I have an iPad2 and a Kindle Fire HDX.  They both work fine, but you can't beat the Kindle for price, but you are locked to the Amazon app store.  Not a bad thing, they have a free app every day.

#3 Clorey70

Clorey70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

To: Kilroy,

Thank you so much for your quick response to my questions. On the iPad I have, I send and receive emails, play a couple of games, use Facetime, get on Facebook everyday. I take pictures with my iPad too. It is so easy to do. I also play music on iTunes on the iPad. I use my iPad when I am on the bed and I use the laptop in the day. I get the weather on the iPad and to be honest, not much else. I just find the iPad so convenient to take around with me so I can look things up when we are driving around town etc. I suppose I could do all of these things on some other type of tablet. On the laptop, I send and receive emails too. I also Google a lot of stuff on the laptop. I don't cart it around with me like I do with the iPad. I have purchased music and other stuff from the Apple store. I understand what you are saying about Microsoft Surface. Perhaps I should have bought it instead of this Asus laptop last year. Too late now. So I am not interested in the Surface. I hope the information I have provided to you will help you help me in making a decision. I understand Apple is coming out with a new kind of tablet in the fall. Have you heard about it? I wonder if it will be too expensive or complicated for me to use. My husband wants to you the iPad 3 if I choose to get a new one. I am a senior and don't want to waste my money on something that I won't use anymore than I use what I already have. I think maybe the battery is going in the iPad as it takes quite a while now to charge and the charge disappears pretty quickly, at least compared to what it used to be like. Any help you can provide me will be greatly appreciated Kilroy. Thanks so much for your help and trouble. 

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:11 PM

You might check and see if there is a known battery issue with your iPad 3.  I just had the battery replaced in my iPhone 5, at no charge, because there was a known issue.

Do you use the iPad on WiFi or a wireless connection?  The wireless adds $100 to the price of the Kindle.

The Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 will do everything you do with the iPad.

Apple comes out with a new phone and tablet every year.  The Apple faithful line up to buy it.  I haven't really kept tabs on what the next version is supposed to have.  There hasn't been a must have feature on any of the new iPads, which is why I still have the iPad 2.

You can transfer your music over to another device, if it has been converted or downloaded as MP3s.

The Kindle comes with one year of Amazon Prime ($100 a year after the first).  Which is worth the money if you use it.  You can listen to music, watch moives, borrow books, and free two day shipping from Amazon.  The money you don't spend buying content can be more than enough for the yearly fee.

The Amazon app store also has a Free App a Day.  These run the gambit, games, productivity, puzzles, and so on.  You can use it with any Android based device, not just the Kindle.

I don't have experience with any of the other tablets out on the market, so I can only speak of these two. 

#5 Clorey70

Clorey70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

Hello again Kilroy,

Thanks so much for answering my reply. We have our tv, telephone and internet with Bell Canada who has supplied us with Bell Fibe, so we have a modem and something else attached to the modem. So we are not wireless I guess. I have a Canon wireless printer which I like very much. I have to hook up the iPad with this laptop to do backups of the iPad. The laptop is just plugged into an electrical outlet. The iPad has WiFi and bluetooth whatever this means. I don't understand the WiFi thing very much. I know that my niece was here recently and she couldn't get her emails on her iPad because she said she had a different IP address. I want to know more about all of this stuff so please enlighten me. So would I have to buy a Kindle without WiFi. When I download music from iTunes I don't think it is Mp3 music. I have downloaded a fair bit of music which of course I have paid for from the store and I also have music downloaded from my own cd's. Can I somehow change this music to MP3's so I could transfer this music onto another tablet, like the Kindle you are suggesting? I guess one of my concerns is that almost everyone I know has an iPad. A friend of mine has a tablet, not a Kindle and she hates it. She wishes she had of bought another IPad. I am going to check out the Kindle you are talking about at Best Buy. Is it really really sharp and clear? The new iPad is so clear and sharp. I do love working in Excel, word etc. so maybe the Kindle would work for me. I truly appreciate all of your input Kilroy. I hope I hear from you again. 

Sincerely, Clorey

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:20 AM

Let's define a few terms that I've been using.

WiFi - A wireless network, not cellular.  This is represented by an antenna with waves coming out, the more waves the better the signal.  You can add wireless to your home network if it does not already have it, by adding a router.

Wireless - in this case I mean cellular.  This requires a cellular receiver and SIM card in the device along with an paid cellular plan to function.  This adds to the cost of the tablet, both up front and on a monthly basis.  This is represented by vertical bars, the more bars the better the signal.  Normally WiFi is preferred over cellular is it does not cut into your paid data plan.

Bluetooth - Is another wireless form of communication, but is very short range.  It is used for headsets, speakers, keyboard, and can be used to transfer data.

All tablets will come with WiFi, but not necessarily cellular wireless.

You can convert, or re-download, your iTunes music, but I'd have to find the process.

Switching to a different tablet will require you to learn a different way of doing things.  Some people don't deal well with that.  Amazon's Kindles uses what they call a carousel.  Your most recently accessed item is first and then you swipe to the left or right to turn the "carousel" to see the other items.  You can also access things more directly by using the tabs at the top.  It isn't difficult.

The screen on the Kindle is comparable to the iPad.

#7 Clorey70

Clorey70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

Thanks so much for your reply. Now I understand a lot more Kilroy, so thanks for that. I believe the thing that is attached to the modem is called a router. Cellular is whaat cell phones use right?  I looked up the Kindle you are recommending to me and the cost is just less than $400.00 which is a lot cheaper than the iPad Air. I am going to look into it for sure. I am assuming that the Kindle has something on it like Facetime. I know it will be very different for me, but I love to learn new things, especially when it comes to stuff like this. Thank you so so much for all of your time and patience with me. I have learned a lot and truly appreciate your help. Keep well my friend.

Clorey

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

On the Kindle Skype would probably be what you would use instead of Facetime.  Skype is now owned by Microsoft.

#9 Clorey70

Clorey70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

Thanks Kilroy. I know about Skype but have never used it. I had a problem yesterday with how to move the taskbar and so I got into chatting with someone at Microsoft.com. After we fixed my problem, he told me that Microsoft has a big sale on now on laptops etc. There was one there that I liked by Lenovo. The cost is $499.00 on sale. I imagine this is American money. Do you know of this brand and is it good or not? He highly recommended it to me. Will you let me know what you think about it please? Thanks

Clorey

#10 DAVID SHELDON

DAVID SHELDON

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:11 AM

If u are interested to purchase tablet then u have to go for Microsoft windows tablets. otherwise there is no need to change your ipad3.

#11 EdgyBrowser

EdgyBrowser

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:34 AM

You might check and see if there is a known battery issue with your iPad 3.  I just had the battery replaced in my iPhone 5, at no charge, because there was a known issue.

Do you use the iPad on WiFi or a wireless connection?  The wireless adds $100 to the price of the Kindle.

The Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 will do everything you do with the iPad.

Apple comes out with a new phone and tablet every year.  The Apple faithful line up to buy it.  I haven't really kept tabs on what the next version is supposed to have.  There hasn't been a must have feature on any of the new iPads, which is why I still have the iPad 2.

You can transfer your music over to another device, if it has been converted or downloaded as MP3s.

The Kindle comes with one year of Amazon Prime ($100 a year after the first).  Which is worth the money if you use it.  You can listen to music, watch moives, borrow books, and free two day shipping from Amazon.  The money you don't spend buying content can be more than enough for the yearly fee.

The Amazon app store also has a Free App a Day.  These run the gambit, games, productivity, puzzles, and so on.  You can use it with any Android based device, not just the Kindle.

I don't have experience with any of the other tablets out on the market, so I can only speak of these two. 

About the Free App a Day, on iPad you can just download any alternative app store like vShare.

You don't have to jailbreak and you can also download apps that are paid on the Apple app store.

Being able to download paid apps for free is a great way to test out apps if you actually want to buy them.

http://www.vshare.com/

Ofcourse vShare will work better with a jailbroken device.

(It is also available for Android and strangely enough also for PC.)

Any questions regarding vShare can be googled or asked here:

http://forum.vshare.com/

(NO, I did not join BleepingComputer to advertise vShare and I have nothing to do with vShare.)

Other then that, I recommend getting an iPad if you have the funds.

Edited by EdgyBrowser, 04 August 2015 - 05:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users